Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,451 Posts
hey just to clarify, all the visors from 2006-2012 are the same pretty much?

i'm looking to replace one off my limited. am i correct to assume they all have mirrors and lights?
Yes, that is correct. Just make sure you get the right color.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mine finally decided to droop down halfway and let me rest my forehead on it if I lean forward. I removed it and tried to take the shaft out, but as it turned out, it broke off. So I got a used 2012 OEM one from a parts recycling place for $40 and I'm able to sit comfortably and not have to twist-and-turn to use the A-pillar or roofline to block the sun from my eyes again.

OLD

NEW

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,451 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just slid a 8" -10" zip tie alongside the shaft of the visor and it's worked great for about the last 6-8 months. Just had to feed it through with a small set of pliers.
Cost: 8¢
Repair time: 5 minutes
How were you able to slide it through? When I try it, it seems to catch something and head downwards away from the shaft.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just fixed the drooping visor for my wife's 07 rav4. She is happy with the result after 1 week of use (another way to say the fix has been validated) and I would like to share the idea to others in the forum.
Parts needed:
1 TV cable holder - referred as "the part"
1 1" self-tapping screw
1 washer

Tools needed:
1 pencil
1 screw driver

Time: 5 minutes or less

Procedure:
1) Position cable holder next to the visor in its folded position (as shown in the picture). Mark the location with the pencil.
2) Install the screw and washer to the part, noting the marked location.
3) Test the "spring action" of the cable holder with the visor to see if the tension is enough.
4) If more tension is needed, back out the screw a bit, put a piece of paper or something similar behind the cable holder then re-tighten the screw (in the picture I used a washer just to show WHERE to put a piece of paper).

Hope you will like it.
Cheers

Just wanted to say that this method worked great for me. Instead of the 5/16" cable clamp I used a 3/8" clamp. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just replace it as they are only about$25 from the dealer. They don't like anything like cd sleeves mounted on them as they are weak and will lose their friction fit that holds them up in position.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just replace it as they are only about$25 from the dealer. They don't like anything like cd sleeves mounted on them as they are weak and will lose their friction fit that holds them up in position.
Can you post your receipt so I can take it to my dealership to leverage? That price seems unrealistically low given the prices I've heard -- $100+ (if they have it at all)...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaced my driver side visor using an OEM replacement. I had a hard time with it. The installation clips kept popping out and getting lost inside the ceiling. It is important to partially install the cover that fits inside the clips so that the clips stay wedged in tight. I learned the hard way. I now have an extra clip I can give away to someone if they are in need. It isn't a set of two, just a single. Let me know.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Mine finally decided to droop down halfway and let me rest my forehead on it if I lean forward. I removed it and tried to take the shaft out, but as it turned out, it broke off. So I got a used 2012 OEM one from a parts recycling place for $40 and I'm able to sit comfortably and not have to twist-and-turn to use the A-pillar or roofline to block the sun from my eyes again.

OLD

NEW
Wait, you got a whole new visor, and just put it on? Or did you have to put in the new clips, etc?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know it was mentioned before but no one has mentioned a way to fix the visor. My driver's side visor, from normal everyday use for the last 20K miles, will not flip up tightly to the ceiling. It hangs about an inch from the ceiling. I don't want to bring it into the dealer just to have them go through the entire car to look at this visor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I lost my metal spring clip. Does anyone by any chance have an extra? Toyota won't sell me the clip, they will only sell me the entire visor. If anyone ever took there's in for warranty and got a replacement, would you be willing to sell me a clip?
I realize this is an old post but I had the same problem with my 2010 RAV4. A dealer wanted I think over $300 for a new visor. Ended up getting one via my mechanic, who had someone get it out of a junkyard for $60 or so, in excellent condition. I wonder if Toyota has fixed this problem with the newer models?

·
Registered
454 Posts
This was a problem even going back to the 4.2 since I had to replace one in my mom's '05, and carried over to the 4.3. My other vehicle is a 2012 Highlander and the visor problem was that it wouldn't hold in place in any angle except retracted or fully down. Toyota had a 7-yr extended visor replacement program from when the Highlander was first used. I replaced the driver's side on my own and submitted a claim, which surprisingly, they reimbursed me. Now, I'm looking to replace the passenger's side. I don't think there's a program like this for the RAV4. Overall, I think it's just a design flaw across all Toyota models that were affected, hopefully, they've fixed it by now.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts