Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Can bad catalytic converters cause the engine to run rich/smell rich? I know my wife's 2002 is throwing codes for bad cats on both banks, has been for years but I just ignored. Now we're noticing just how rich it smells. I haven't asked her to keep track of fuel economy but I'm sure it's not good.

Also, years ago some kid at O'Reilly Auto Parts read the codes and said there was some cheap way to replace a cat, something about going to a salvage or junk yard...any idea what that's about? It sounded good but I would think those would be old and dirty anyway.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Hi everyone,

Can bad catalytic converters cause the engine to run rich/smell rich? I know my wife's 2002 is throwing codes for bad cats on both banks, has been for years but I just ignored.
Rich running can cause a catalytic converter failure, but you have had codes up for years so regardless, the problem is the converter now. First things first. Replace it, and have the downwind side of the exhaust checked, too. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the route to take. If you can find the correct used cat, you can try it and if it does not help, you have lost $$ and it would be unwise to try another used unit, possibly until you have spent too much with no joy.

EDIT: You can try removing, then cleaning the converter, but after so many years the prognosis is poor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts