Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving a 2012 Rav4 I4 Sport. When cruise control is activated and we reach a slight incline the car will drop a gear or two and REALLY go hard on the acceleration. Is there a way within the software (Tech stream?) to adjust this? I'd like it so it wasn't so nuts on trying to maintain a few km/hr.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
No, the cruise control cannot be adjusted with Techstream. It must be the I4. My V6 doesn't do that.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My V6 doesn't do that either.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Our I4 behaves the same, in hilly roads I try to feed a little gas to accelerate before hitting the hill. Of course that does away with the whole reason for having cruise control....

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
We had a 99 Forester that did that in hilly country. I never used the cruise in that car unless it was a flat interstate.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
My V6 when using cruise control is weird - generally on highways when it ever smells that an uphill grade is coming it downshifts although it could easily pull the grade in 5th gear, but doesn't have to be aggressive about maintaining speed. But in town, driving at 28 mph with the cruise control switched on it will lock the torque converter even on a moderate uphill grade and continue on at 1100 rpm.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Blogson, is your cruise control in any way linked to GPS?

·
Registered
731 Posts
My wife's 2010 I$ does that. We took a road trip through hilly country last year, and she kindly hollered at me not to accelerate so hard, not knowing my foot was not on the go button.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. From some further searching this is just the nature of a I4 engine. The V6 is able to keep the engine speed closer so the gear drop isn't as dramatic. Next trip to the mountains will just be done without the Cruise on.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Blogson, is your cruise control in any way linked to GPS?

It isn't linked to GPS. It has acted as it does for the past three years or so. Prior to that it either didn't do so or much less likely I didn't notice, but I generally pay rather close attention to what the engine and gearbox are doing.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The first time it downshifts, pop the trans down one gear out of OD.
It'll jerk once, then drop back into the selected gear and stay there.

Cruise doesn't know you're climbing a hill, just that you went far below the set speed. It "floors" it, which causes you to accelerate ABOVE the set speed, so it drops off and the trans goes back into OD, where it again drops below the set speed.

Holding the trans down out of OD gives it enough torque to maintain without the constant up/down.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My previous Mariner V6 used to do that, it would kick down and the revs would hit 5k, you'd think the car was trying to take off.

My Rav V6 is much more subdued, even when it kicks down, the revs never go over 3k.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2009 V6 and it overreacts on grades. I have had many vehicles with cruise and never had one as sensitive as my RAV4. It is so unsatisfactory I just disengage it in hilly country.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Although I have the V6, I grew up with manual and when the computer acts stupid with shifting, depending upon the grade I just shift down to 4th or 3rd - gas mileage bedamned.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I have a 2009 V6 and it overreacts on grades. I have had many vehicles with cruise and never had one as sensitive as my RAV4. It is so unsatisfactory I just disengage it in hilly country.

I disengage my V6's cruise control in hilly and mountainous territory as well. It does have a tendency to overspeed the RAV by 2-3 mph on uphill grades after the trans. downshifts, and where we live that can result in a speeding ticket.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Our 2015 XLE's cruise control is terrible. The slightest incline and it is down shifting. Really isn't too encouraging and makes you want to avoid it like the plague.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Perhaps turn the OD off in hilly areas, seems to work for me in other vehicles. Since I live in a flat area, I don't think I've noticed any issues.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts