Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2010 Rav 4 Limited 4x4 with 80k km. Great car. Drove it for about a year. Now the 2nd baby is due in few months and with two good car seats in the 2nd row, there is barely any room for back passengers. I don't really need it but i think having the third row can come in handy once a week or so when we visit families.

Is it advisable (is it even possible) to add third row to a model that was originally purchased without the third row?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I bought a used 2010 Rav 4 Limited 4x4 with 80k km. Great car. Drove it for about a year. Now the 2nd baby is due in few months and with two good car seats in the 2nd row, there is barely any room for back passengers. I don't really need it but i think having the third row can come in handy once a week or so when we visit families.

Is it advisable (is it even possible) to add third row to a model that was originally purchased without the third row?

Thanks
I think there was a thread recently addressing this question. IIRC, the general answer was no, it wasn't feasible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi all,
my question is not if it is practical or worth it to add a 3rd row. i want to add a third row. my question is that is it ok to add throw to 2010 rav 4 limited edition 4x4 that originally came without 3rd row seat. is adding the third row seat simple as buying the seat from the dealer and asking them to install it or does it involve adding extra stuff such as maybe changing the suspension etc?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
hi all,
my question is not if it is practical or worth it to add a 3rd row. i want to add a third row. my question is that is it ok to add throw to 2010 rav 4 limited edition 4x4 that originally came without 3rd row seat. is adding the third row seat simple as buying the seat from the dealer and asking them to install it or does it involve adding extra stuff such as maybe changing the suspension etc?
From what I remember of reading the other threads in the past, it doesn't BEGIN to be simple. Yes, there would be suspension changes, but also I think some of the seat attachment points don't exist (or something like that) which would require structural changes to the vehicle.

I would bet it would cost at a minimum several thousand dollars to try to retrofit one such that it would end up being as safe as one that was originally built for that.

It would absolutely not be a "plug and play" kind of thing. It would be *far* less expensive (and likely safer) to simply trade in the RAV4 you have for one that came from the factory with the 3rd row.

As I recall, that was the conclusion reached in the other threads as well.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Wouldn't really be that useful for your situation anyway as the 3rd row is not designed for car seats and an adult can't sit comfortably back there either.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
One important point: to accommodate the third row, the second row of seats has to be moved forward which leaves little space for adults there. And if not enough leg room for passengers in the second row, then the driver's and passenger's seat has to be moved forward. It gets a little cramped.

Here is a good link with lots of pictures.

Aftermarket 3rd row seat - looks shoddy, possibly dangerous.

Finally, there might be an issue regarding insurance with a third row seat.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Maybe consider upgrading to a Highlander or sell your Rav4 and buy one with 3rd row already in it?

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
hi all,
Obviously you missed this in my link above:

Your source for SUV third and fourth row seats - Little Passenger Seats

Can you do it the way Toyota did it? NO, so either trade vehicles or go with the aftermarket solution above. It's just that simple.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have always thought that having a 3rd row seat in a RAV4 is ludicrous, even as provided by the factory.

The RAV4 is simply not large enough for 3 rows of seats.

If you need a 3rd row, get a vehicle actually big enough to accommodate that many people.

It's that simple.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
As you found out the simple answer is NO. However I find that the 3rd row is VERY practical. Most of my family/friends (and anyone that rides the 3rd row) are in the 5'10 -6', 200lbs or less. No it is not the worlds best ride. But it is very manageable. I guess if you are from parts of the country that are generally bigger then you would think that it is a no go.

You might want to look for a used 3rd row RAV4. My friend recently bought a highlander. Though she likes the car, if she was to do over again would have liked to have a 3rd row RAV (she rides in ours often). The additional cost of the vehicle, the extra MPG, and the size are not value added items. The highlander is just big enough that she feels it is a waste for her as a daily driver for herself and 2 kids.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts