Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After leasing a 2013 Rav4 XLE for 3 years, I purchased the vehicle and gave it to my mom as a gift. When she opens the rear hatch, she can't reach the handle to close the door because it's too high (liftgate is non-power). I want to replace the stock lift supports with ones that have shorter travel distance (for the piston rods), effectively lowering the height of the hatch when fully opened.

Specifically, I need the following for the stock lift supports:

• Lower Mounting Code: (ex:, A|B|C|D|E)
  • Upper Mounting Code:
  • Compressed Length: ??"
  • Extended Length: ??"
  • Travel Length: ??"

I found this site for after-market lift supports with variable travel distance, but I can't place the order without knowing the info above.
(Click Product Options)
carid.com, monroe-max-lift-lift-support-109990576.html

I can't post links because I'm a noob :)

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,889 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,457 Posts
You could add a strap to the inside of the door long enough for her to reach it. Just tuck it in to the inside before closing the hatch.

·
Super Moderator
11,071 Posts
You could add a strap to the inside of the door long enough for her to reach it. Just tuck it in to the inside before closing the hatch.
Or add a tether so the hatch wouldn't open as far as normal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in the same situation with my new 2018 Rav4 XLE. My wife can't reach the handle to close the hatch.

Did the OP find replacement struts that were shorter than the factory ones? I really don't want to spend $1,300 for a shop to install a power lift gate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts