Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem every winter trying to climb a steep incline with a turn on my snow/ice covered driveway. On my Honda Pilot I have a switch to shut off my VSC so my vehicle can climb the driveway when the wheels spin. The Rav does not have a switch and the "brake dance" method of shutting off the VSC does not work on the 4.2 years.
Can anyone please help me? I've googled and searched all forums and can't find anything definitive. The below procedure sounds promising but I don't know if anyone has tried it and used it on a regular basis without problems. Please help??

Originally Posted by dgrip View Post
After thoroughly examining the wiring diagrams, I found the path for the TRC DISABLE switch that is in the 2WD versions. The wiring is exactly the same for the 4WD versions, so all you have to do is wire in the switch.

Here is the basic idea. You just have to ground terminal 43 on the VSC ECU. Whether a wire already exists in the 4WD versions, I am not sure. It would be super easy if that wire was already there, just not connected to anything. Anyway, here's the diagram. Just connect a switch to terminal 43. when you ground it with the switch, it should properly disable the VSC and the TRAC.

t

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I may end up solving my own problem. I talked with a Toyota tech today who recommended installing a relay switch on a fused circuit rather then interrupting a specific component of the VSC system. That made sense in regards to not generating unwanted codes, etc. We pulled the 30amp ABS 2 fuse which controls the Anti-lock brake system, VSC, Trac, and the brake assist systems. The fuse is located in the engine compartment box. The ABS and VSC/Trac lights came on the dash indicating the systems were not working.
I will be trying the vehicle on my driveway soon with the fuse pulled. If everything works as I'm hoping, I will install a relay switch from the fuse link through the firewall to a switch next to the tire pressure switch on the dash.
I will report back and let those that want to know the results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only had a chance to try it once before the spring thaw. It did disable those systems which should help in my situation. The only downside is you have to switch the ignition switch off later to reset the dash lights. No big deal really, you do want those systems working on the roadway.

·
Registered
289 Posts
This works on my 08 limited.....give it a try.

Traction control disable...

How to disable stability and traction control '08 (short version)

1. With handbrake on, pump brake pedal twice (then release handbrake)

2. Hold down brake pedal, pump handbrake twice (then release brake pedal)

3. With handbrake on, pump brake pedal twice (then release handbrake)

Notice that lines 1&3 are the same, and that line 2 is the just the reverse. So the procedure is pretty easy to remember.

Only a light press is required on the brake pedal.

Skid light will illuminate to confirm that it's disabled. It will only stay disabled until the next startup.

DR

A very nice way to group the steps, thanks.

Just to note that the engine has to be running in park. I turn it off and restart to clear any previous foot or hand brake signals to the ECM. You need not wait for the dash lights to cycle.
Also note that you may start with the handbrake on and you end with it on. I hold the release button in while pumping it. As you mentioned for steps 1 & 3 taps on the brake pedal are sufficient hence the term many use "the tap dance."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless someone corrects me the "tap dance" method does not work on a 2004. I'm not sure what years it works on other than a 2008.

·
Registered
14 Posts
brakedance

brakedance ( :) ) works only on 4.3 versions, so from 2006 -
mine is 2005 4.2, i just get one picture of some forum that abs/trac/vsc box (in left under hood, looking from frontside) there is connector which has lot of connections.. 4 large pins on right, three rows of little pins on left and that one of rows is little away from those other two, (lowest row) in that row 4:th pin, when you put that on the ground it should be the pin which is connected in car where is that "disable vsc" button.. it is pressbutton and when you touch that in ground, it should disable trac first and when you keep that in ground few seconds, disable vsc. i'm not sure if that will be true and will that work, i think i can try that some day, but there is also mechanism in obdII connector that when you connect pin 12 to ground it would disable vsc in 4.3 rav but i don't know will that even work and will that work in 4.2.. and that is little risky to do anything on obd2 just for testing purposes.. so i think i will first try to ground that vsc/trac contoroller connector pin on next weekend and see what happens.. if that will work, i will wire that connector inside in the desk and add pushbutton for it..

·
Registered
14 Posts
yes

i just get wiring diagrams in my hands for 2005 rav4 in toyota garage here.. that connector is just that vsc off switch. i'm not sure yet is that same functionality on 2wd and 4wd, but i think 2wd only have that switch alreay assembled becoz they might think that 4wd does not need it.. in wiring diagram it says for that pin: csw - 43 - blu/yel (2wd) so i think that means only 2wd has that blu/yel wire.. i'll test that on sunday so let's see what happens.. if that works i'll add button in my car for that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
yes, i did the same in 2016 (sorry i have not updated that post) and a result was same, i noticed also that the pin in that connector is not connected anywhere inside a connector, and i did not open abs-vsc box deeper, would there been possibility to add a connector there.. i also made a switch-relay-system for abs2 fuse. that is sad because i did not want abs off, but that vsc off is also very rare situations where you need it so i can live with that..

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm beginning my own work on this project as well, currently holding a Toyota TRAC off switch for wiring and installation.

Nulli, can you explain in a little greater detail? Are you saying the wiring harness behind the dash doesn't have the blu/yel (or LT BLU) wire for the TRAC disable function? Or that the blu/yel wire isn't connected to the # 43 position of the skid control ECU?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm beginning my own work on this project as well, currently holding a Toyota TRAC off switch for wiring and installation.

Nulli, can you explain in a little greater detail? Are you saying the wiring harness behind the dash doesn't have the blu/yel (or LT BLU) wire for the TRAC disable function? Or that the blu/yel wire isn't connected to the # 43 position of the skid control ECU?

both. there is no wire and #43 does not have a pin at all in the ecu connector. neither in or outside of the connector. and this info is for at least mine 10/2003 built rav4. (07/2003-x/2005 rav4 gen2 4wd euro model, 2.0 vvti)

i have not opened the ecu itself if there would be chance to add wires for that pin inside the ecu, i have added a relay in line after abs2 fuse which is controlled from a deskside switch. that disables also abs, makes cristmas tree of lights on desk and needs restart if you want abs and vsc back but that is not a big problem because situations where you need vsc off are very rare (thanks for a rav4's well working 4wd/vsc combo) and the restart is not a big thing to do then..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thank you so much for the info, I know exactly where I'll start on this project now. I'll keep the thread alive for a couple weeks while I work on this.

·
Registered
165 Posts
For US spec 05 RAV:
Well so help me both the wire loom in the dash and the VSC control unit have the appropriate wires for the TRAC off function, but like nulli explained, the TRAC off switch appears to do nothing. I’m left wondering if the 4WD ECU just doesn’t have the programming to accept the TRAC off function?

Currently at the end of the road for this mod until a later date.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts