Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
You can also do it this way: Lower the driver's window. Get out of the vehicle and close the door. Reach in and lock the doors using the power lock button on the armrest. Finally, pull up the window switch and remove your arm quickly.

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
And if your car doesn't have a physical key have someone inside to open the door the first time you try JuneBug's method.

We have a woman who comes to my wife's events who does the same as you - leaves her car run for her dog for several hours while she's here. I've never checked if she locks it and don't even remember what model the car is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did this a few times when I did a long road trip in my previous car (Prius). I recommend getting a steering wheel lock (like the club) because there is nothing really to prevent a thief from breaking the window and driving off. I also recommend one of those outdoor suction cup thermometers so nobody walks up and thinks that the dog is suffering and needs broken out of the car.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried JuneBug's method -- it worked but I had to use the mechanical key to unlock the door.

I came across a suggestion to use a remote starter -- make sure the AC is on, power off the car, lock it, then start it with the remote starter. This method works, but a service tech told me that most remote starter systems will time out after 10 minutes.

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid XSE
495 Posts
I tried JuneBug's method -- it worked but I had to use the mechanical key to unlock the door.

I came across a suggestion to use a remote starter -- make sure the AC is on, power off the car, lock it, then start it with the remote starter. This method works, but a service tech told me that most remote starter systems will time out after 10 minutes.
I had a Viper remote starter on my Venza. It was a two-way. So I would get an alert at 19 minutes and then again at 20 minutes when it turned off. I could then start it again if needed. I am actually looking into installing one on the RAV before winter.

I would turn off the Venza with the a/c on during the summer and the heat on during the winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts