Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2017 RAV4 XLE and sitting in the passenger seat is like sitting in a hole compared to the driver's seat when it is in the raised position. Is there any way to replace the seat bracket to make the passenger seat higher? I've seen brackets to extend the sliders for people with longer legs but so far nothing to raise the seat up. Could I order the one for the drivers side and install it on the passenger side or would it need to be a mirror image to fit (certainly the control would be on the wrong side. I'd be happy if it wasn't adjustable; just higher.
I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
If I wished to raise the passenger seat on my RAV4 I would obtain some metal (such as aluminum) blocks of the desired increase height as well as the lenght of the seat mounting tracks and drill them to accommodate the diameter bolts which secure the OEM tracks to the floor. One might have to use longer bolts to accommodate the added height. But there are safety concerns, such as would any mounting bolts needed needed to increase the seat height be able to withstand the force upon the seat if there were a crash (longer bolts would experience additional stress due to their added length in relation to the force applied to them). The same potential situation would apply to the seat belt mountings. It might be possible to use larger diameter bolts to mitigate the safety risk factor.

We have a 2017 RAV4 XLE and sitting in the passenger seat is like sitting in a hole compared to the driver's seat when it is in the raised position. Is there any way to replace the seat bracket to make the passenger seat higher? I've seen brackets to extend the sliders for people with longer legs but so far nothing to raise the seat up. Could I order the one for the drivers side and install it on the passenger side or would it need to be a mirror image to fit (certainly the control would be on the wrong side. I'd be happy if it wasn't adjustable; just higher.
I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim,
I can see how your solution would work but I was hoping for something that was already tested and approved so I could avoid the safety concerns. There are four vertical mounting bolts that hold the seat base onto the sliding base bracket. I haven't tried to loosen one yet but it appears the bolt head is welded or otherwise fused to the base bracket and would not be easy to replace.
Thanks for your suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
10,374 Posts
Because my wife doesn't like "sitting on the floor" the second day I had my new Accord I raised the passenger seat 1.5 inches. With the safety concerns in mind I made it real heavy duty. Used two sections of black iron pipe with longer bolts in the rear and heavy U-shaped pieces of strap iron and the stock bolts in the front. She loves it and my six-foot friends still have headroom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because my wife doesn't like "sitting on the floor" the second day I had my new Accord I raised the passenger seat 1.5 inches. With the safety concerns in mind I made it real heavy duty. Used two sections of black iron pipe with longer bolts in the rear and heavy U-shaped pieces of strap iron and the stock bolts in the front. She loves it and my six-foot friends still have headroom.
Thanks, I did something similar on an old Chevy van bench seat. It held up great for many years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts