Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Can I use these fuse locations for 12V power? (Images)

727 Views 22 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Jack Daniels
See images, there are a few empty fuse locations in my Fuse box. 2017 hybrid limited. Can I tap these for power with a fuse tap adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-50039R-Circuit-Standard-Warranty/dp/B07TG1ZGD3/) ?

I need to power something that requires 12v and is about 100w. I assume a 10 amp fuse should be enough for this. Can I just plug a 10 amp fuse in one of these locations and make the power connection and ground and will that be safe? I have Mayday, Towing and S-Horn all empty in my Fuse box.

Final question, I need to run 1 wire into the cabin. I see the firewall penetration by the driver side brake pedal but it looks like its a solid sealed gasket. Whats the best way to run from engine bay to inside vehicle?

Audio equipment Gadget Computer hardware Electrical wiring Eyewear

Font Gas Blackboard Machine
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2017 RAV4 - XLE FWD - Magnetic Grey
87 Posts
You can easily tap into the 10a horn fuse. That one has enough space for a generic mini fuse tap. For getting into the cabin, I’ve used the grommet you were talking about on the passenger side. Remove the glove box for access. Feed a wire through (it will be tricky) and you are set. Use the mounting bolt that’s on the shock tower for ground using an eyelet connector. Not sure about a full 100w, but it easily handles a few LEDs in my RAV. Hope this helps.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can easily tap into the 10a horn fuse. That one has enough space for a generic mini fuse tap. For getting into the cabin, I’ve used the grommet you were talking about on the passenger side. Remove the glove box for access. Feed a wire through (it will be tricky) and you are set. Use the mounting bolt that’s on the shock tower for ground using an eyelet connector. Not sure about a full 100w, but it easily handles a few LEDs in my RAV. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply, would it make more sense to use one of the empty fuse locations vs tapping into the existing10a horn fuse? What is that empty S-Horn anyway? Is something supposed to be in that location?

· Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the reply, would it make more sense to use one of the empty fuse locations vs tapping into the existing10a horn fuse? What is that empty S-Horn anyway? Is something supposed to be in that location?
If you can see metal contacts where a fuse could be (for example, the S-Horn) then you can totally use it. But the fusebox will typically only use/fill slots if your model has those features equipped. For me at least, on the fuse map on the underside of the cover shows where the DRL fuse would be, but on the panel itself, it is blank because they are not equipped on my model. So I just tap an existing fuse, which I know will have power.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can see metal contacts where a fuse could be (for example, the S-Horn) then you can totally use it. But the fusebox will typically only use/fill slots if your model has those features equipped. For me at least, on the fuse map on the underside of the cover shows where the DRL fuse would be, but on the panel itself, it is blank because they are not equipped on my model. So I just tap an existing fuse, which I know will have power.
Thanks did not know that, will check to see if they have the metal contacts. If the device I need to power should be protected by 10 amp fuse then I will have 2 10 amp fuses plugged into fuse tap? I've never used them before so not sure how they work.

· Registered
87 Posts
Thanks did not know that, will check to see if they have the metal contacts. If the device I need to power should be protected by 10 amp fuse then I will have 2 10 amp fuses plugged into fuse tap? I've never used them before so not sure how they work.
You will need two alike fuses. Like the other guy said, make sure you get the mini size fuses only. They typically have prongs with plastic in between them.

· Registered
Car: red, with some black trim
380 Posts
if the cable is going to be run into the cabin, then why not use a mini piggyback fuse holder in the cabin fuse box, I believe its on the left end of the dashboard. Cig lighters are for accessories. I cut a slice out of the fuse box cover with a dremil to insert the piggyback fuse thru the cover. Located close to the pedals.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if the cable is going to be run into the cabin, then why not use a mini piggyback fuse holder in the cabin fuse box, I believe its on the left end of the dashboard. Cig lighters are for accessories. I cut a slice out of the fuse box cover with a dremil to insert the piggyback fuse thru the cover. Located close to the pedals.
The power connection needs to be in the engine bay, but to control it I need a switch inside the vehicle. So I have to run a wire inside. (Extra lights)

· Registered
380 Posts
Take a look down in the RH footwell, towards the right of the car. There is a large rubber grommet there with a cable bundle in the center. There should be an unused grommet pimple for additional cables in the main grommet. This is an easy place to access both inside and outside the vehicle.
There is an easily removed kick panel that can be removed.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Take a look down in the RH footwell, towards the right of the car. There is a large rubber grommet there with a cable bundle in the center. There should be an unused grommet pimple for additional cables in the main grommet. This is an easy place to access both inside and outside the vehicle.
There is an easily removed kick panel that can be removed.
Thx. You mean from inside the car going outwards to engine bay? This is on driver side or passenger side? I will try to locate this later.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey guys. I was messing around to find a good wiring path. Are these the correct gromets? Do I have to puncture a hole through them to run the wires?

The driver side gromet looks like there is an existing unused hole but I tried to put a screwdriver through it and I kept hitting a wall so I stopped. Do I have to push through to puncture the rubber gromet so it goes through to the engine bay?

The passenger side gromet does not have any existing unused holes, there seems to be a soft rubber hose/line using that existing location. Not sure if I can make a new hole myself if needed. I am being cautious, any input would be appreciated please.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You were right no fuse contacts in those other (empty) locations. Will have to use an existing fuse location for power.

· Registered
380 Posts
Your photo marked Passenger side grommet view from engine bay looks to have plenty of space. just poke a pin prick hole in it, then push the cable thru so that the grommet still squeezes the cable, there is no water in that area anyway, + its always warmed and dried from engine heat. I have a 1" dia. cable conduit through here for a 230v cabin heater.
The part I've marked with the red arrow appears to be a vacant conduit.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive design Alloy wheel

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your photo marked Passenger side grommet view from engine bay looks to have plenty of space. just poke a pin prick hole in it, then push the cable thru so that the grommet still squeezes the cable, there is no water in that area anyway, + its always warmed and dried from engine heat. I have a 1" dia. cable conduit through here for a 230v cabin heater.
The part I've marked with the red arrow appears to be a vacant conduit. View attachment 191536
Thanks very much. The part you marked with the red arrow is the part that I just poke a hole through right? Then feed the wire through there either from inside or outside and pull through?

As for the add on fuse kit. Does it matter the orientation that the add on fuse kit goes in? Is there a 'hot' power side that I need to use?

· Registered
380 Posts
yes you can poke a hole from the inside, perhaps with an observer on the outside just in case since you are near a bunch of critical wiring. My conduit was poked thru just below the cable bunch that would be just as good.

yes the piggy back fuse can have just one orientation, test it with your multimeter to be sure.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes you can poke a hole from the inside, perhaps with an observer on the outside just in case since you are near a bunch of critical wiring. My conduit was poked thru just below the cable bunch that would be just as good.

yes the piggy back fuse can have just one orientation, test it with your multimeter to be sure.
When you look into the fuse bay where they plug in, can you visually tell which side is hot?

· Registered
380 Posts
I doubt if its easily visible, which side is live. If you dont have a multimeter, then maybe you have a light bulb with a wire soldered on to determine the live side.

You could also put the piggyback adapter in place with the lower fuse missing, there should be no power on your new red accessory supply wire if the adapter is in wrong way round.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts