Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few codes reading on my OBDII reader.

They are: P300
P302
P303
P1700

The first three come up occasionally when I am on the freeway and really lugging the car (4 cyl). However, I changed plugs recently. So I cleared the codes and will check to see if they reoccur.

The last code P1700 has me more worried. I don't have exactly the same size tires front and back. They are not that different but I think it may be causing the code. On my reader it calls it a "manufacturer control" while the more specific interpretation I've seen says it is a VSS issue. I'm wondering if the code was thrown due to the different diameter tires front/rear. I can check the VSS sensor when I get it on the lift but does anyone think this could be the root cause? :confused:

Thank you,

WEK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
P0300- Multiple cylinder misfire detected
P0302- Cylinder no. 2 misfire detected
P0303- Cylinder no. 3 misfire detected
P1700- Nothing listed in my Haynes repair manual

These codes show:
P1725- Automatic transaxle input turbine speed sensor circuit fault
P1730- Automatic transaxle counter gear speed sensor circuit fault
P1780- Park/Neutral position switch or circuit fault

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Misfires will kill a catalytic converter. You will get a P0300 anytime there is a misfire. How many miles on the vehicle?

All manufacturers are required to adhere to certain guidelines when designing the software for their computers. Every manufacturer puts all their transmission codes in the P07xx range so this is probably a transmission code, although my service information does not list a P1700 for our RAV4.

Any code beginning with a 1, as in P1320, is a manufacturer specific code and there is no generic description for manufacturer specific codes.

·
Registered
609 Posts
P1700 shows as a malfunction of the front speed sensor in my 1999 shop manuals for the A540H automatic transmission.
Open or short in the speed circuit or front sensor or ECM.

But the codes vary by year and sometimes equipment and you didn't list what you drive.

Having different size tire front to back won't bother a 2-wheel drive car but will keep the drivetrain in a bind if it is all wheel drive. This binding will cause accelerated wear while dropping the fuel mileage so it is usually cheaper to get the right size tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts