Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Can RAV4 Rear Brake Rotors be turned?

22K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  myravis_silver 
#1 ·
Apparently I have been very lucky. After a little over 116,000 miles, the rear brakes on my 2007 RAV4 (V6 Sport) are finished. That's right. over 116,000 miles on the original rear brakes. Shouldn't I get some kind of recognition award from Toyota for this? :)

The customer service representative at the place where I usually have work completed on this vehicle told me that you cannot turn these rear rotors. I had to buy new ones. I've never heard of this other than if one is to be so negligent as to wait way too long so as to have a metal-to-metal situation.

I inquired of my rep: Does this mean that if these new pads and rotors that are being installed wear out in, say 60,000 miles will I have to buy new rotors at that time again? His answer was a reluctant yes. Reluctant because he knew I didn't want to hear that answer.

I'm posting to this forum looking for some confirmation. Was I taken by the place I had this rear break work done (btw: this was a very reputable national tire franchise operation. I like em. I've purchased two sets of tires from these folks for this vehicle so far) or is it in fact true: you cannot turn rear brake rotors on the RAV4?

Thanks to all for your time in responding.
g

See less See more
#3 ·
Rotors are marked with a minimum thickness right on the rotor itself. If the rotors are worn to the limit they need to be replaced. If rotors are not worn to the limit, rotate the hubs (with the wheels off) and check for runout (wobble) in the rotor. If there is no runout you can replace the pads only, and the rotors do need to be turned.
After replacing pads - whether on our old rotors or new - take the time to bed in the new pads. After a few miles of easy driving, make several repeated hard "almost" stops, like from 60mph down to 10. The brakes need to get hot enough to actually transfer some pad material to the rotors. With street pads, this is hot enough to cause brake fade. Then drive easy and avoid coming to a complete stop till the brakes cool down.

#4 ·
Thank you very much for this information. So, according to your response, depending on the condition and / or thickness of the rotor, it can be turned and used with new pads.

While I believe that your response here is correct, I think the service shops don't want to do these things (rotate hubs to check for runout, etc, etc). They would rather charge you for new rotors. While in my specific case, where the rotors had over 116k on them, I can understand replacing them. However, in the event where there is only say 60 to 80k on a rotor I would now question a service shop who tells me that the rotors need to be replace.

BTW: my service shop told me that the rear rotors on this vehicle are "ventless" and as such cannot be turned.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time here.

g

#5 ·
BTW: my service shop told me that the rear rotors on this vehicle are "ventless" and as such cannot be turned.
There must be a misunderstanding. Vented and solid discs can certainly be turned. Slotted or drilled discs are usually milled. However, it is highly unlikely that you have slotted or drilled discs, and almost all rear rotors are solid. The fronts are vented.

#6 ·
Yep, that is what the service person told me. He specifically stated: "These are ventless rotors and you cannot turn them". He also stated "Well you could turn them but there is a very good chance that in time you will start to experience a pulsating brake pedal".

I think your response has the answer to my question. Rear rotors on a RAV4 CAN be turned, albeit if they have enough meat left on them and are not warped. Again, in my specific case, with over 116k on em, ok get new ones. But in the future, if these breaks wear at less than 100k, I'm going to argue with a technician that tells me that I need to get new rotors.

Thank you for your response.
g

#9 ·
it's possible to turn rotors; on and off a car. they're supposed to measure the thickness using calipers but most places just do a visual and give % left and that's less accurate. rear rotor new thickness is 12.0mm and minimum thickness is 10.5mm. I replaced front and rear rotors and brake pads this weekend and it was fairly easy. i used centric premium rotors (135.70 for all 4) and raybestos professional ceramic brake pads ($53.24 for all 4).

#10 ·
But what about the brake drum in the middle of the rear rotors? Would that get in the way of the machining equipment?

#12 ·
Rotors are sooo cheap that there really is no reason to have them turned. If they are warped replace them. If they are even close to the service limit repalce them. Here is a the cheap OEM replacment rotor for our RAVs. $20 with free shipping per.
Amazon.com: Dura International BR900360 Rear Solid Disc Brake Rotor: Automotive
The expensive one, not some funcky x-drill slotted deal are $39. Really can't jsutify turning rotors anymore.

#13 ·
dont machine them, replace them. it already served the 116K miles!

for me? it is a waste of money by asking dealer or shop to machine them, why? firstly, youre removing materials from the rotors, from 116K miles? again it served the purpose/miles it ran. since, you removed materials from your 116K-mile rear rotors, where is it now? 10.8, 10.9, 11mm? waste of money.

add extra penny for new ones and replace them yourself, of course, with new pads too, DIY, :)

my opinion, the peole who actually can afford to machine rotors are the technicians/mechanics, because they know what will happen and it is free at the shop, lol.

bionictony just stated 12mm standard thickness, and minimum is 10.5mm ( measure them on different spots, from inside ). for example, if you feel something when braking from the rear, you ask them to check the runout (again they may charge for that labour)

8 out of 10 people, will choose to replace them! cheaper labour too. our buddy MrPulldown, for example. read what he said again.

#14 ·
Apparently I have been very lucky. After a little over 116,000 miles, the rear brakes on my 2007 RAV4 (V6 Sport) are finished. That's right. over 116,000 miles on the original rear brakes. Shouldn't I get some kind of recognition award from Toyota for this? :)

The customer service representative at the place where I usually have work completed on this vehicle told me that you cannot turn these rear rotors. I had to buy new ones. I've never heard of this other than if one is to be so negligent as to wait way too long so as to have a metal-to-metal situation.

I inquired of my rep: Does this mean that if these new pads and rotors that are being installed wear out in, say 60,000 miles will I have to buy new rotors at that time again? His answer was a reluctant yes. Reluctant because he knew I didn't want to hear that answer.

I'm posting to this forum looking for some confirmation. Was I taken by the place I had this rear break work done (btw: this was a very reputable national tire franchise operation. I like em. I've purchased two sets of tires from these folks for this vehicle so far) or is it in fact true: you cannot turn rear brake rotors on the RAV4?

Thanks to all for your time in responding.
g
After reading through this thread a time or two, a thought came to mind.....you don't mention how many fronts you went through in those 116k, but perhaps you might want to have the operation of the rear calipers checked, ie, are they even working?

#15 ·
I agree with NOT having them turned/milled. By the time you pay for all that, it may cost you more than just replacing them. As above, check tolerances to see if they need replacing. If you have not replaced them in the past, and, according to your original post, you haven't, it's time: an all-around better deal. Shop at your local Toyota dealer if you want original or many of the Toyota dealers that are selling discounted original parts. Brakes are a job you can EASILY do yourself. There are many posts with hints and suggestions. And, if you run into trouble, post the problem. Go for it!

#16 ·
Rotors

I took my 2010 Rav V6 in to Toyota and they said my rear brakes were needing replacement. They turned them...now 10K miles later they are warped. Every car I have ever had, if you get them turned, they will warp. So better to just replace the rotors. So now I need to replace rotors...I will do it myself this time. I did my front brakes on my own including new rotors and they work great.

#17 ·
I took my 2010 Rav V6 in to Toyota and they said my rear brakes were needing replacement. They turned them...now 10K miles later they are warped. Every car I have ever had, if you get them turned, they will warp. So better to just replace the rotors. So now I need to replace rotors...I will do it myself this time. I did my front brakes on my own including new rotors and they work great.
When you machine brake rotors, they should be measured for a minimum thickness before turning them. If they wind up too thin, they will warp. Rotors are manufactured as thin as they can get away with these days.
My first car with disc brakes was a 1970 Olds Cutlass. I put about 120k on it and did what, 3 or so brake jobs on it and never replaced the rotors, just machined them each time. They probably weighed about 50-60 lbs each when new, so they had plenty of meat on them!

#18 ·
Dealer replaced front pads and resurfaced the discs at 88,666 miles. With 111,200 miles to date my front brakes are OK!

Still have the original rear pads. I suppose I should be ready for the rear discs to be replaced when the pads are down to 2mm.

Tom

#21 ·
non 3rd row seating for most...i dont have 3rd row seating, i c you have a newer rav4 so look it up on rockauto, i even like their reman_brake calipers, cheaper than all the local auto parts store even with the shipping/core return and the i did read somewhere they rebuild them at the home office or somewhere in the States, cost was $5 to send back, maybe to Chicago, Il is where i sent a caliper back, so it was all good with that an American worker was repairing/refurb'n them. I do use the Napa eclipse brake caliper(lifetime warranty) on my truck(dakota) and a 03 toy_avy, they always fail aprox 1 yr after install, new hose and fluid every time....they seem to not last.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.