Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the first is this wire. It looks like ground wire but it is not connect to anything. What should it be connected to?

The second is this hose that is coming from the cabin on the passenger side.
What should that be connected to?

I can't find anything on the internet about this.

Thanks,
Emmanuel

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,832 Posts
I'm not sure about the wire. The hose is the evaporator drain for your air conditioner. Water should drip from it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Does that wire reach the negative post on the battery?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
My rav4 is a 1996. Hmm I don't think the wire reaches all the way there.
With the information provided, only a member with another 1996 will be able to help by taking a look at their own RAV.

The rest of us might be able to make some suggestions if you provided a "zoomed out" photo so we could see what devices are nearby. I had thought that the red box in your photo was the battery.

For example sensors that are mounted on the engine, but isolated from ground by a paper gasket are often equipped with a separate ground wire. A temperature sensor mounted in the thermostat housing is an example of this.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I also vote for a ground wire. Usually, one end mounts on firewall and the other end goes to the intake manifold.

Their main purpose to temporally hold onto your engine when you are hoisting it out of the engine bay, right before they snap... Some will get this joke ;).

·
Registered
161 Posts
So the first is this wire. It looks like ground wire but it is not connect to anything. What should it be connected to?

The second is this hose that is coming from the cabin on the passenger side.
What should that be connected to?

[PICS REMOVED FOR REPLY]

I can't find anything on the internet about this.

Thanks,
Emmanuel
Youre looking at a Chassis Ground Wire, I cannot say for certain if it was there by Factory on the 96, but usually if the engine ever gets work done on it like a timing belt, water pump or something like that the mechanic may have just put the engine ground to the firewall there. It clearly was not long enough and broke free from it's terminal under engine movement. I'm willing to bet you'll find the other end that wire and its terminal somwhere on the back of the intake manifold.

The drain is as JuneBug mentioned, where water evaporated from your AC unit will exit, it has nothing to do with the wire.

It is advised that you ensure you have at least ONE ground from the Engine to the Chassis, Intake Manifold to Chassis, and Transmission to Chassis. YOu could experience some "weird" symptoms as the vehicle ages, the aluminum that is conducting the ground throughout the engine parts gets older and oxidization happens, The mating surfaces between the intake, engine, and trans get filled with old grease and oil and causes resistance and the Battery stops putting good ground through ALL components. Your ignition system (spark plugs) depend on strong 12V and Strong Ground to keep the engine running properly.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
The wire goes from the firewall (where it is attached in that picture) to a bolt on the intake manifold (that aluminum-colored thing JUST to the right of your fingers, and just out of both pictures). If you look at the engine like you were taking that picture again and lean back towards the back of the car, you will see it sticking out from the BACK of the manifold and closest to you with, probably, the other end of that wire still attached to it. Their main purpose to temporally hold onto your engine when you are hoisting it out of the engine bay, right before they snap... Some will get this joke . That is it's other purpose usually, as you lift the engine, followed by the question "What the hell was that......?" The pipe, is indeed, the drain for the AC. Get that wire hooked back up. It is probably at least a 16g wire. You could splice it with an appropriate butt splice as long is there is still room for it to flex. If it makes it tight after the splice, better just to replace it; otherwise the movement of the engine will snap it again.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Their main purpose to temporally hold onto your engine when you are hoisting it out of the engine bay, right before they snap... Some will get this joke ;).
LOL!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes found on transmissions as well... even the non-electronic TH400.

·
Registered
116 Posts
needs to be hookt up to your engine .

I made a big one right from the battery to the engine .

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Yeah, that's probably OK. But if the factory has a reason for it to be hooked up to the body (via that wire), there must be a reason. Yes, the battery is also grounded to the body but I haven't chatted with any Toyota designers lately...... Hey, Emmanual? Is this making sense? You should also go to the car wash and hose your engine off before Winter sets in.....:wink

1 - 12 of 12 Posts