Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
I do not have any ideas about connecting this tool. You can search the site and there is likely some chatter on same. I do not think the fuel system is the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
576 Posts
-- I would replace the coil and igniter with new ones.

-- What kind of spark plug wires did you buy? What is their resistance?

·
Registered
Rav4 1997 Automatic 4WD - White
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
-- I would replace the coil and igniter with new ones.

-- What kind of spark plug wires did you buy? What is their resistance?
Will find out tomorrow when I replace the VSV and re-solder the new connectors + will replace the fuse harness. So happy -- Finally the P0401 will go away after moving the location.

Hey Elle_Rav4 after reviewing this thread by you:

And going back to the same thread I started, which requires the conclusion as the vibration in idle was resolved by the replacement of the engine support the pain in the %@ to remove. That did it.. however, I'm crossing fingers the VSV replacement will erase the clear the code resulting of a much smoother idle.

I have the old fuel pump motor which is the one the vehicle came with, I will re-solder the ends and remove the crimped connectors -.. I'm always worried those short out..

The fuel filter there attached to the fuel pump assembly could that also cause a bad starting hesitation? I wish I can connect that fuel pressure testing tool to the rail.. and check however, I need the special bolt fitting..

For the Igniter and coil, I will have to wait as a bit more to get the $. buying the connectors.. the VSV and fuse harness sucked my savings bucket for my precious Rav4 that's never left me stranded.

Thanks for your time, knowledge experience and patience to help me resolve this long term issue.

Miles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Quick question, shouldn't all fuel lines from tank should keep the pressure say.. 50psi? Because if there's no pressure, than no gas to the injection. I have started the vehicle with starter fluid to see if that's the reason why the fuel does not hold pressure..

Also, seeing diagrams from other threads here in rav4world, I noticed the cut-off Valve and fill check valve.. can those cause the same symptoms?

Cause the video before, where the host identifies the leaking of pressure from one of the valves.. and instead of lowering the tank,, he installs a check valve and holds the pressure making fuel lines reach to the injectors.

Just wondering here,, you're the pros.

Miles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Does the fuel pump motor unit have a check valve incorporated?

can I test with water? or will damage the old pump - I have 2

·
Registered
576 Posts
-- Miles, I would not do anything else until a new ignition coil and new igniter are installed.

-- With the filthy fuel filter I had in my tank awhile back, the Rav4 had little, noticeable hiccups when driving both at a steady speed and when accelerating. But I do not recall hesitation when starting.

-- There are spark plug wires out there that are advertised as "super low resistance." The manufacturers say they improve performance. They do not. Such wires can harm the vehicle's electrical systems. This is why I asked.

-- the fuel lines should hold pressure for at least several days. But I do not see fuel line problems causing the engine to shut down after driving awhile.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
-- Miles, I would not do anything else until a new ignition coil and new igniter are installed.
Agree

-- With the filthy fuel filter I had in my tank awhile back, the Rav4 had little, noticeable hiccups when driving both at a steady speed and when accelerating. But I do not recall hesitation when starting.
Great point - thank you for ruling it out.

-- There are spark plug wires out there that are advertised as "super low resistance." The manufacturers say they improve performance. They do not. Such wires can harm the vehicle's electrical systems. This is why I asked.
Will check tomorrow for sure!

-- the fuel lines should hold pressure for at least several days. But I do not see fuel line problems causing the engine to shut down after driving awhile.
Under the budget conditions will wait. In the mean time will just fix the other things..

I'm also hearing a noise while driving on the front right side.. I checked the ball joint and notice leaking grease. Hope that sound will go away when replacing that. As I thought was the engine support I replaced when doing the distributor belt replacement project - different thread.

Getting closer to the problem. I have a faith and great team work! 😊 💪

Miles

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Cleaning filters and will put together give it a try and test preassure withe the pressure tool.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hi members,

Elle_Rav4 good news, the Coil is on it's way. Because of the Virus going on.. the parts company is delivering free of charge.

Here's a picture of the used coil they are selling me. I will check with my meter and try it to see if the vehicle starts on the first shot!

Let me know what you think?

Thanks everyone!

Be safe everywhere you go or are, now that it's impossible to go out here in Costa Rica, with license plate resctrictions and 10pm curfews.

Miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Bad news again..

Brand new coil installed and car did not want to start at all.. I put the old one back, car started with same symptoms -- starting hesitation.

Car starts after several turns.. and runs fine once started,, and never stalls.

Elle_Rav4,, any ideas? I'm about to blow this vehicle up LOL (kidding)

Miles.

·
Registered
576 Posts
-- What is the status of the distributor oil leak? Did you install the new oil seal and the new o-ring correctly?

-- Do you have a DLC3 (data link connector 3) that looks like what appears in the drawing on page 3 of the attachment? If so, find someone with the right tool and see if there are any codes. Or buy a tool for under $20 on eBay.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Regarding reading codes on Costa Rican vehicles: It appears that only 2017 and later vehicles imported to Costa Rica are required to have OBD2. What may be confusing is that Costa Rican Rav4.1s may still have the OBD2 Data Link Connector 3 (DLC3, near the driver's right knee). According to what I am seeing on the net, the DLC3 on Costa Rican Rav4.1's will be non-operative.

Some help with what different countries require for OBD appears at the following sites:

(I think Mick Hatzo may have mentioned this recently. Pardon any repetition.)

41 - 58 of 58 Posts