Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read that if you start the car, if someone happened to get in it and take off it'll drive till it runs out of gas. Is that true? That doesn't seem very safe. My other car isn't keyless but has a remote start. If you don't put the key in within ten minutes it shuts off and without the key if you step on the brake it shuts off. Also, how close do you have to be to open it? If I lock it and go in my apartment which is 20 feet from where I park will it open for anyone walking up to it?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yes, that's how any car with a smart key system I've encountered works. If you start it and get out it will keep running. Hear stories of people's spouses driving off with the car without the key accidentally and then they're stuck once they shut it off at their destination. It does warn you on the dash that the key is not present. And it throws off a loud tone to warn you that you've done that too so people don't leave it running in their garage and asphyxiate themselves though that has happened.

As far as unlocking it with the proximity lock though it has a really short range, just a few feet. Even when heading to the grocery store and I have the key but my wife doesn't have hers she sometimes can't even open the rear gate with me standing right next to her(but just out of range of the system).

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have noticed it dings when I get out of the car with the key on me. I already had a near problem one day. I forgot to put it in park, shut it off, and it should've rolled but it didn't. I just started using the parking brake, just in case. I'm pretty good at making sure it's off, though, I usually wait till the lights go off to walk away from it.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yeah should always set the parking brake and before you put it in park. Better to be resting on the brakes than the transmission/parking pawl.

So what did you do? Shut it down in drive and walk away? Since it was in gear I guess it wouldn't roll. Thought you had to hold the button for awhile or push it multiple times to shut it down in that scenario though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts