Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the "wave your foot under to open the liftgate" module be added after market?

I really need this feature as I'm getting older. It's hard to put a handful of groceries down to open the lift gate, then pick them all up again.

Can this be installed after market?

I have a 2017 Limited. Really wish it came with this feature.

Thanks for any info, I have found nothing on the internet yet.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
It's workable for the Limited or any model with a smart-key (keyless ignition, push-to-start).
I don't know that a system is available that works on the conventional models without going to a 3rd party lock control and separate fob.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's workable for the Limited or any model with a smart-key (keyless ignition, push-to-start).
I don't know that a system is available that works on the conventional models without going to a 3rd party lock control and separate fob.
I did forget to mention that I have a limited with keyless entry.

I watched the video install, looks like it would work well, but the guy doesn't have any listed for sale right now. I could not find anything else, other than a license plate frame that requires you to wave something in front of it. That's not going to work for me. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I'll put money down that when auto-door locks become standard we will see as many posts asking how to defeat it. Really, how much trouble is it for the driver to reach left a tiny bit to press a button? It becomes habit easily

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'll put money down that when auto-door locks become standard we will see as many posts asking how to defeat it. Really, how much trouble is it for the driver to reach left a tiny bit to press a button? It becomes habit easily

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s a convenience option. Let’s say if your hands are full...
Little hard to press that easy to get at button with both hands full.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s a convenience option. Let’s say if your hands are full...
Little hard to press that easy to get at button with both hands full.
Bingo. It's a convenience and most people don't want to give it up, and yes, there are always a few who don't want the new technology, but they come around. How many people that were resistant to cell phones in 1995 are without them today?

Smartkey was a must-have now that Toyota has incorporated the remote into the ongodly huge key fob. With my prior Toyota's vs my wife's Toyota, I just wouldn't carry her remote on my keyring. Easy-peasy, the remote with the key attached was mine, and the lone key was hers.
No longer have that option without making my own valet key... so with keyless, I always pull the correct key out of my pocket if I'm going to access her car, otherwise it's a simple touch.

Did the same with the front door for my wife. Arm load of groceries? Tap the lock and the Kevo unlocks the door, and I replaced the knob with a lever so she can elbow the door open.

Echo and lighting... no longer have to fine my way through a dark room from the downstairs light switch to the stairs, or walk 15ft out of the way to the kitchen light switch... Echo/Alexa handle that. Same for the bedroom light... now I can put on my CPAP when I can see and kill the lights from my pillow.

High-tech version of "The Clapper" :D

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Bingo. It's a convenience and most people don't want to give it up, and yes, there are always a few who don't want the new technology, but they come around. How many people that were resistant to cell phones in 1995 are without them today?

Smartkey was a must-have now that Toyota has incorporated the remote into the ongodly huge key fob. With my prior Toyota's vs my wife's Toyota, I just wouldn't carry her remote on my keyring. Easy-peasy, the remote with the key attached was mine, and the lone key was hers.
No longer have that option without making my own valet key... so with keyless, I always pull the correct key out of my pocket if I'm going to access her car, otherwise it's a simple touch.

Did the same with the front door for my wife. Arm load of groceries? Tap the lock and the Kevo unlocks the door, and I replaced the knob with a lever so she can elbow the door open.

Echo and lighting... no longer have to fine my way through a dark room from the downstairs light switch to the stairs, or walk 15ft out of the way to the kitchen light switch... Echo/Alexa handle that. Same for the bedroom light... now I can put on my CPAP when I can see and kill the lights from my pillow.

At that rate you'll own a 'DRIVERLESS' vehicle sooner than later! :wink

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts

I thought the Echo was a great idea until I read this article. Turns out "THEY" can monitor everything you say and record it on their servers. And the things are insecure and quite hackable. Only in America can you convince consumers to bug themselves AND pay for the surveillance equipment:

https://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-anyone-an-echo-1820981732

1 - 11 of 11 Posts