Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you/should you ever turn off the daytime running lights on equipped Rav4s?

If you switch the light lever from 'off' to the second setting (parking lights), does that turn off the daytime running lights?

·
Super Moderator
11,045 Posts
You can't turn them off, the dealer can. The dealer may or may not charge you to do so.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,639 Posts
ucigrad said:
Yes, if you're on a stakeout or conducting surveillance, you can pull the parking brake up to the first notch before starting the car. You can actually drive like that since the brake is not actually engaged on the first notch.

ucigrad said:
If you switch the light lever from 'off' to the second setting (parking lights), does that turn off the daytime running lights?
Nope!

·
Registered
58 Posts
junebug1701 said:
ucigrad said:
Yes, if you're on a stakeout or conducting surveillance, you can pull the parking brake up to the first notch before starting the car. You can actually drive like that since the brake is not actually engaged on the first notch.
I tried it and it works!
Thanks, that's another neat thing to know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2013 Rav4 LE.
Confused on DRL. Manual says they are on at all times.Our headlight lever has a setting for drl to turn on or off? When off and car is pit into drive I see no DLR on at all?
Am I missing something here? thought they were supposed to be on at all times.
When I put the DRL switch on it has a tiny bulb in the headlight housing that comes on and that is all?
Just picked car up yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
11,045 Posts
2013 Rav4 LE.
Confused on DRL. Manual says they are on at all times.Our headlight lever has a setting for drl to turn on or off? When off and car is pit into drive I see no DLR on at all?
Am I missing something here? thought they were supposed to be on at all times.
When I put the DRL switch on it has a tiny bulb in the headlight housing that comes on and that is all?
Just picked car up yesterday.
You have a 2013 model. This section is for 2006-2012 models (4.3). I have already answered your question posted in the 4.4 area for 2013+ models.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Addressing the bolded section, no. Running with the lights on increases the visibility of your vehicle by a statistically significant degree. With an increasing number of vehicles shipping with DLR, running without lights on puts you at a severe disadvantage.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Addressing the bolded section, no. Running with the lights on increases the visibility of your vehicle by a statistically significant degree. With an increasing number of vehicles shipping with DLR, running without lights on puts you at a severe disadvantage.
However, it is also been studied by various governmental agencies including those of countries abroad, that daytime running lights results in increased accidents with pedestrians and cyclists who are not lighted.

Reactions: SoNic67

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
However, it is also been studied by various governmental agencies including those of countries abroad, that daytime running lights results in increased accidents with pedestrians and cyclists who are not lighted.
Hmmm, that's interesting. I would assume pedestrians and cyclists are not likely to be lighted during the day, so can't imagine why DRL equipped cars would hit pedestrians more frequently than non-DRL cars during the day.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,983 Posts
Hmmm, that's interesting. I would assume pedestrians and cyclists are not likely to be lighted during the day, so can't imagine why DRL equipped cars would hit pedestrians more frequently than non-DRL cars during the day.:confused:
Not saying I believe it but I think the theory is that other vehicles notice ones with DRLs more than they do pedestrians. In other words DRLs distract drivers more than non-lighted cars do thus giving the DRLed vehicles an unfair "advantage." Probably when a pedestrian gets hit the driver who did it is looking for any excuse other than a cell phone to blame it on so a DRL vehicle becomes a good excuse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Holy Crap! The dealer just told me yesterday that there was no way to sit with the car running without those lights coming on. Another reason I dislike dealerships - they don't know the things that they should know!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
drl and emg brake?

when i pulled emg brake up and left on 1st notch...drl is off! but emg brake warning buzzer stays on while driving.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,639 Posts

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,639 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I did this with techstream, very happy I did!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts