Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm at the drive-in movies and I just did the e-brake method and it worked! Mucho Awesome, Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,513 Posts
I'm at the drive-in movies and I just did the e-brake method and it worked! Mucho Awesome, Thank you!

I didn't know there were any drive-in movies left! Do they still have those little speakers or do they transmit the audio to your FM radio?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't know there were any drive-in movies left! Do they still have those little speakers or do they transmit the audio to your FM radio?
FM radio. We just had our first child and regular theaters are problematic. The ability to run our A.C. felt nice in the humid Georgia weather.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes.
No, but I have turned off the DRL using Techstream.
I have a 2009 RAV4 Sport. I have an old version of Techstream v7.31.00 I bought years ago around 2012 and just recently I wanted to set my DRL to OFF. But I could not find anywhere showing how to set DRL ON/OFF setting in Techstream! Where in Techstream should I look to find the DRL ON/OFF setting?

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,513 Posts
I have a 2009 RAV4 Sport. I have an old version of Techstream v7.31.00 I bought years ago around 2012 and just recently I wanted to set my DRL to OFF. But I could not find anywhere showing how to set DRL ON/OFF setting in Techstream! Where in Techstream should I look to find the DRL ON/OFF setting?
It’s in there. Under Customization I think.

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
I'm surprised that you are looking to get something like that, since the seals and lumen output may not be adequate.
Not sure what you mean by the "seals" but I guarantee the lumen output will be significantly better than the stock 9005 & 9006 Halogen incandescents. I'm running Alla 9007 replacements on my F-250 and a friend just put their 9005 replacements on his Corvette. In both cases they are easily twice as bright as the Halogen they replaced and waaay brighter than any of the "super" Halogens we've both tried. The main issue is making sure the low beams are aimed so they don't blind other drivers.
Here's a good comparison chart. https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/
I chose Alla because someone online recommended them to replace the 9005s on my Accord and they worked perfect.

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
Not that I'd expect a problem just because it isn't a stock fixture but I've also cleared many a fogged headlight by simply drilling a small vent hole near the bottom of the unit.

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
The conversion to LED bulbs is well worth doing if you're looking for more light. According to bulbfacts' testing, the best halogen bulbs from Sylvania and Osram give 30% more Lux, whereas the Allas I'm using are pretty typical of the LEDs at 155% Low & 75% High beam improvement.

The issue with the LEDs is they don't work as DRLs since Toyota (with three DRL relays) simply connects the high beam bulbs in series to effect DRL. At least the Allas, and I suspect most other LED headlights, have a minimum voltage of 8 volts so connecting two in series supplied with 14 volts doesn't light them at all.

While that may be a double blessing for some since they could get much brighter high beams while defeating the DRLs with one simple bulb change, I specifically want DRLs but not the yellowish halogens that look old to me. The eBay halo/LED DRL replacements will do what I want and IMO snazz up the car's looks at the same time.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I bought a XenonDepot 9005 Xtreme LED kit with the additional DRL driver for my wife's vehicle ('12 Highlander) and it works rather well. Users from the 4R forum were complaining about the first XD DRL driver since they were able to see the flickering. The updated version, which I have, doesn't have the problem, likely, they just adjusted the duty cycle so the human eye can't see it. However, if I try to video record it, the flickering is there.

Back to the headlight, I actually thought about getting the LHD OEM with H11 projector low-beam and 9005 reflector high-beam sourced from Asia, but after looking at pictures, the mounting points only seem to work with '09-'12 years.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It’s in there. Under Customization I think.
Hi, yes I did look under Customization options but it would not go paste that screen after clicking any options. I finally solved my issue by installing another Mini VCI device driver version and it worked after that. All this started because I replaced my Lo and Hi beam bulbs with Techmax LED Evolution bulbs I bought from amazon. The DRL no longer worked so I wanted to disable the DRL applying useless voltage to the bulbs in DRL mode. I also bought the latest version of Techstream software and installed it on Windows 10 64 bit OS and it works fine there too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you/should you ever turn off the daytime running lights on equipped Rav4s?

If you switch the light lever from 'off' to the second setting (parking lights), does that turn off the daytime running lights?

In order to avoid any electrical issues turning off DRL on your rav4 then you will need a relay with 4 legs to replaced the one with 5 legs in the front left passenger fuse box in engine compartment. Before proceeding to change the relay, please take note that the relay for DRL to work is BLUE with 5 legs and the relay you will need to turn it off is Brown with 4 legs. And you will see it works like magic because it worked for me, so anytime I want the DRL back I just have change to the old relay.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts