Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
I installed those Anzo headlights on 2008 Rav4 but the H7’s on the low beam are terrible. I replaced the halogen bulbs with some Hikari Ultra Leds but still not as great as running actual HIDs. I plan on opening them up and replacing the projectors with ones from theretrofitsource.com to xenon projectors.
Thanks for the info. It's very timely because when we got the wife's 2006 RAV4 back from the body shop yesterday (deer accident, one headlight destroyed, another thread) her first question after seeing the headlights was, "Will I be able to see after dark? You know I have trouble with that."
So, a couple questions if you don't mind.
How were the projector low beams (with halogens) compared to the stock headlights? I powered the new projector ones up in the garage before giving them to the shop to install and the beam patterns looked pretty good.
Were the Hikari Ultra LEDs just not much brighter or was the beam pattern worse? I kinda hate to drop $90 on them for an experiment. I've installed Alla brand 9007 LEDs on my F-250 with excellent, bordering on fantastic, results but those are normal reflector headlights not projector ones. And even the Alla H7s are a $50 experiment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here’s a comparison between the halogen and led on the Anzo’s. I too have difficulty with driving at night with low light reason I am opting for HIDs. The stock headlights, in my opinion, are just a brighter than the Anzo’s but I am very picky. The leds are definitely much brighter than the halogens the Anzos came with though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here’s a comparison between the halogen and led on the Anzo’s. I too have difficulty with driving at night with low light reason I am opting for HIDs. The stock headlights, in my opinion, are just a brighter than the Anzo’s but I am very picky. The leds are definitely much brighter than the halogens the Anzos came with though.
View attachment 149947
Here is the beam pattern up close and notice the middle lower portion of the light. That missing beam is noticeable on the road that’s closer to the car so I use my fog lights to compensate. Not sure if the way leds are designed is causing it that’s why I am going to try and upgrade the projectors inside.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The main issue with LED is placement on the sides only at a certain stalk width, so there's a missing section where the projector won't be able to shine/reflect the light beam out on the road, thus, there's a dead spot in your picture. If you put back a halogen, there shouldn't be a dead spot. HID is still a bulb-style, so light is radiated on all sides, and wouldn't have a dead spot. This is my working theory.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

41 - 44 of 44 Posts