Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving, I found out that if I hit the "OFF" button and only an air flow icon is showing on the LCD, air still blows to keep the cabin at the preset temperature. It doesn't matter whether air flow is to the face, legs or windscreen. So how do I shut off the auto air con completely? If it's not possible to shut it off, then the humming sound at idle might be from the compressor because it's still operating.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it means that the auto air con can never be shut off ???

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it means that with the auto climate control system, air is always flowing into the cabin because the system can never be shut off ?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
no and no. The compressor is ONLY on when you have the ac or the defroster on.. like any other hvac system.

When you hat the off button everything goes off. Some air from outside will come into the cabin when off. This is designed to do this. Most systems do. So you have a small amount of fresh air coming into the cabin at all times.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I'm saying is that when I hit the "OFF" button the air flow still maintains the cabin at the preset temp.

I discovered the above by chance last week. My preset temp was 22degC and I switched off the system when I brought in my vehicle for service. When I drove the vehicle after the service, the system was still switched off. But after eight kilometers I noticed that the cabin was quite warm. So I decided to check the preset temp. And guess what? It was set at 30degC. The mechanic servicing the vehicle must have changed the setting.

Please confirm what I've observed on your next drive. If air is always flowing in at the preset temp, the system never shuts off, and the humming noise at idle at the traffic lights must be the sound from the compressor.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Switch it to re-cir mode, it should stop the air from coming in. The compressor is not on when the HVAC is in off mode. Try lowering your temp. to like 66 F, the interior will not cool down in the off mode, assuming the outside temp is above 66 F.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Think of that temperature setting as the same thing as the lever or dial in a manual system that has cool on one end and warm on the other, it controls a valve that lets warm or cool air in, when you leave the temp at a certain setting and hit the off button, that valve stays at that setting . In other words if you were to set the temp to HI and then hit OFF, is the same as a manual system where you slide the temp control to hot with the fan off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts