Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any major difference or advantage to having a Rav manufactured in Canada or Japan? I have a 2016 Rav Limited that was manufactured in Japan.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I've only had one Toyota (2012 Highlander) made in North America and it developed a cabin leak under the drivers side - bad welds. It was prevalent on other 2nd Gen. Highlanders as well.

My current and 2 previous Toyotas are/were from Japan. I always look for a J in the VIN! ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
I have a 2011 Rav made in Canada and 2016 made in Japan so I am interested particularly with regards to recalls etc.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Our 2010 was manufactured in Japan, or 2014 was manufactured in Canada. 90,000 on the 2010. 58,000 so far on the 2014. We notice no difference in build quality. Of course nothing can top the TSB related visits back to the dealer with our 2006.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Toyota has such a constrained supply chain and strident building protocol that there are no differences regarding recalls. Regardless of country of origin, all suspect models are recalled.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is there any major difference or advantage to having a Rav manufactured in Canada or Japan? I have a 2016 Rav Limited that was manufactured in Japan.

My 2012 is from Canada and doesn't have the tow hooks under the car to attach my canoe to.
Other than that all's good.
Ott.

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
Not 4.4 but we have two '08 models, both built in Japan. One has been almost perfect and the other has been an absolute turd. I doubt it makes any difference whatsoever where they are built.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought a '16 Rav4 that was built in Japan. It was totaled this past January. I replaced it with a '17 Rav4 built in Canada. I think both have been about the same in terms of fit and finish and quality.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Toyota has such a constrained supply chain and strident building protocol that there are no differences regarding recalls. Regardless of country of origin, all suspect models are recalled.

I remember back in 09, we had a RAV4 09 Sport made in Japan, and there was a recall only for the certain VIN # not made in Japan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
548 Posts
The Japanese models illuminate the foglight indicator on the dash if you have an LE model and add aftermarket foglights, the CAD model does not illuminate the dash light.

The built in alarm system will not work if you try to add it to a Japanese-made vehicle. Works with CAD models.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
The most significant difference between Japanese and Canadian made RAVs is the air in the tires.

I prefer the Northern Pine forest air of Canada. The mildly fishy smell of Japanese air is unappealing.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The most significant difference between Japanese and Canadian made RAVs is the air in the tires.

I prefer the Northern Pine forest air of Canada. The mildly fishy smell of Japanese air is unappealing.
Mildly fishy smell, and perhaps radioactive as well.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Mildly fishy smell, and perhaps radioactive as well.

The fishy smell helps keep bad cholesterol levels at bay! :wink

The radiation affords a certain glow to the vehicle so it can be seen better at night and during inclement weather! :laugh

Those Japanese are very industrious after all. >:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts