Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gonna move to Canada in May, so now i`m preparing some docs for customs and registration, and have got some question to you guys living in Canada. Do you have rav4 with DRL or why Canadian customs and DMV require to install DRL unit into a car exporting from the states in order to pass the custom clearance?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Re: Canadian RAV4.2?

ser02rav4 said:
I gonna move to Canada in May, so now i`m preparing some docs for customs and registration, and have got some question to you guys living in Canada. Do you have RAV4 with DRL or why Canadian customs and DMV require to install DRL unit into a car exporting from the states in order to pass the custom clearance?
DRLs are manditory in Canada on all vehicles. It's only a $40 relay.

A

·
0 Posts

tankd0g said:
It's only a $40 relay.
Can you get me the number from your relay ?
My dealer is unable to find it in the parts catalog.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Hey Tankdog is he going to know what a Canadian tire is? :D

Correct me if I am wrong but i though they never opened up stores in the US. Even if they did many Canadian companies fail there anyways.

·
Registered
880 Posts
mionee67 said:
Hey Tankdog is he going to know what a Canadian tire is? :D

Correct me if I am wrong but i though they never opened up stores in the US. Even if they did many Canadian companies fail there anyways.
Pep boys then :), anyway he's not going to ahve to modify it to get it across the boarder, only to register it, I think he has a few months or even a year to do that.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
You get 45 days to bring your vehicle into compliance with Canadian regulations after you bring it permanently across the border. Before the 45 days are up the vehicle must pass a federal inspection (actually done at Canadian Tire) to get a Canadian certification label. At that point you can go and see about getting it registered in the province or territory you're in.

·
Registered
880 Posts
bmorton said:
You get 45 days to bring your vehicle into compliance with Canadian regulations after you bring it permanently across the border. Before the 45 days are up the vehicle must pass a federal inspection (actually done at Canadian Tire) to get a Canadian certification label. At that point you can go and see about getting it registered in the province or territory you're in.
That entirely depends on what you tell them you are doing with the vehicle at the border. We have a guy working here that moved from Florida and brought both his US vehicles with him, it was over a year before he had to take his Florida plates off because he still had dual residence so who's to say which country the car belongs in. When they finally sold the house in Florida well then there was no question :)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Well sure, if you're going to pretend that you still live in the US that's different, but if ser02rav4 is talking about customs requirements and adding DRLs I assume he plans to go the legit route.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Hey all this talk about vehicle registration.
I think we forgot to welcome ser02rav4 and his Rav to Canada :D
Cheers,
Walt

·
Registered
986 Posts
So he finally got tired of G W Bush?

I remember on election day last November the traffic on Canada's immigration website skyrocketed.

A

·
0 Posts

tankd0g said:
C44335 said:
tankd0g said:
It's only a $40 relay.
Can you get me the number from your relay ?
My dealer is unable to find it in the parts catalog.
It's probably $400 from the dealer, people generally get the at Canadian Tire or other parts stores.
Actualiy the dealer wants $72.
The US part number for 05 is 90987-02025

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
One good thing Bush has done for me is making things cheaper on Ebay :lol:
I buy mostly from decent American people :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for welcome me in Canada folks. :D I gonna go to Halifax.A problem is I need to register a vehicle (only one for now, cuz another is still in lease and I sure Honda doesnt allow me to bring my wifes civic to Canada, but will see how can I do that) according the Canadian regulations. I already got a letter from Toyota about my recalls and I`ll need to install that DRL unit soon.Just wondering why do you need it into a car? I was in North Europe the other month and for instance in Finland and Sweeden all cars run with lo beam on all the time, but you can just turn it on and no problems.

Also guys I heard that car thieft is a really serious problem in Canada. A few year back our R4W memeber lost a car in Toronto.what can you say about?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Also guys I heard that car thieft is a really serious problem in Canada. A few year back our R4W memeber lost a car in Toronto.what can you say about?
If you have an engine lock in your security system it should be much safer. If not if you are technical than you can put a hidden kill switch.

My sisters friend had a corola for a month or so and 15 minutes in a store and the car was gone :x

C

·
0 Posts
Toronto is just like any other relatively big city - some areas are safer than the others. I have been driving my 2004 RAV4 ever since I bought it there with no problems. Car alarm is a nice deterrent against lazy thieves, and combined with the chip in your key would prevent most of them from driving away in your car. However - for a piece of mind and windows left intact - nothing beats lighted parking lot (other than your own garage)

On another note - my RAV looks as weird in New York City without a Club as it would in Toronto if I buy one :)

===========

ser02rav4 said:
thanks for welcome me in Canada folks. :D I gonna go to Halifax.A problem is I need to register a vehicle (only one for now, cuz another is still in lease and I sure Honda doesnt allow me to bring my wifes civic to Canada, but will see how can I do that) according the Canadian regulations. I already got a letter from Toyota about my recalls and I`ll need to install that DRL unit soon.Just wondering why do you need it into a car? I was in North Europe the other month and for instance in Finland and Sweeden all cars run with lo beam on all the time, but you can just turn it on and no problems.

:D

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I did not mean to scare anyone with the Corolla theft story. :D

I don't hear of that many thefts lately. Many thefts are cars easy to break into or high in demand.. like Honda civics.
I never worry about my Rav4 Ltd with all the security features.
Plus I have my neighbors killer dog (HAPPY) :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts