Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at Quickdtoo's Avatar with the side molding on, I did the "get it from Canada, eh" thing. Was able to have a local dealer do the ordering for me (they had a relationship with a Toyota dealer in Victoria, BC). As part of the order they included the Toyota of Canada installation instructions.

As the fax was in fair (but readable) shape, I re-entered it and cleaned it up..

Sooo...

Here is the link to the Canadian version of how to install it. I split the diff with Quick's measurements and the Canadian ones.

Canadian side molding install

The moldings as Quick mentioned are color specific and have a unique part number for each color.[/url]

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quickdtoo said:
Good work, thanks!!! :cheers:
You realize you are the poster child for "why the H*ll can't we get this as an option" in the US

My next challenge is to figure out how to remove the Toyota badge from the Tailgate..

a much cleaner look :mrgreen:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Nice job summerwind, your timing is perfect. I get mine on Friday, thanks to quickdtoo as well for sharing the buying process. The hardest part of this whole thing was procrastinating about opening the occasional account with UPS!

I wanted to share a trick with the emblems in order to save them without damaging the double sided foam adhesive tape. Mine are stuck to a piece of wax paper in perfect condition, so if I ever sell it, I can put them back on.

A week ago my garage was an ambient temperature of 108 degrees. I go up to the emblem and pry it back with my fingernail to see what would happen, I noticed that it would be a piece of cake to do, but saw the adhesive was coming off the emblem and sticking to the car in some areas, possibly because the temperature on the car and the emblem were the same? So I go get a piece of ice and applied it to the emblem for a while and walla it pulled of without any problem. So you might want to try what flyingn said, but just try heating the panel…….if you want to save the emblems.

Another note; pull the RAV4 and the 4WD from the bottom – up, or they will bend due to the bridge holding them together.

Thanks again for the install instructions!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other thing....

When you get the guide tape on stand back and look at it to see if you want to adjust it a little (up to + or - 1/2") from what the Toyota instructions state.

It comes down to what looks best to you.

I also made the assumption that the top of the guide tape goes on measurement marks (step 3)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the deed is done.

Looks almost as good as Quickdtoo's

One thing I learned when putting on the back door molding is to be on the generous side of the 1/4" from the door edge.

The key here is to start with the square end and after starting installation, OPEN THE BACK DOOR and check to make sure the molding clears the front door.

Not a big deal but if you error on the short side of 1/4" your rear door molding will not clear the front door edge.

Will take a picture and post it when it stops raining in Seattle.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have a question for those who have received their moldings. Did you get them in a full length triangular box? Mine came today and they came in a triangular box approximately 20” long with a padded shipping envelope covering the last 12” of an open container!

They’re tweaked as a result of them flopping around during shipping! The short ones are okay, the long ones are straight until the last 10”, and then it has a 6’ radius, their also twisted. I’m sure I can get them on the vehicle but it would be a lot easier to do if they were straight the full length.

EDIT: Never mind, customs did it! The package left as one full triangular box! They decided to cut it open....mistaken for a dirty bomb I guess :wall

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RAYDAHS said:
EDIT: Never mind, customs did it! The package left as one full triangular box! They decided to cut it open....mistaken for a dirty bomb I guess :wall
Those damn triangular boxes.. Bad,Bad

You must be the first to get the security check..

Mine came from Victoria BC and was in good condition.
Each side (the two pieces) came in a sock and was marked Drivers Side and Passengers side. As far as I could tell the square cut ends are cut on a slight angle so they are side dependant.

So...

Were the moldings still in their socks??

Who pays for the damage that was done.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yes mine came from Peace Arch in B.C. I called Ben up there and told him how I received them. He was shocked as well; he actually opened them prior to sending them on their way just to make sure they were the correct color and said they left in one piece, so it had to be customs.

They did come in the socks as you described, but about 10 inches hung out the end of the box unsupported with a padded shipping envelope around them taped to the original box. It kind of felt like a dead fish when my friend handed me the box this morning! These things are dense and surprisingly heavy!

Ben and I decided to try lying them flat in the garage this weekend to see if they might have a memory and go back to normal, since it’s going to be about 115 degrees in the garage!

If that doesn’t work we’ll get into other options, he told me to take pictures and e-mail them to him. He’s being very helpful with all of this, shipping these things all over the states is probably more hassle than it’s worth for them, but they’re standing behind their product :thumbs_up:

EDIT: I kind of felt like a dead fish when my friend handed me the box this morning!

How about "It" kind of felt like...........................

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Thanks SW, but that's the good side, I did the passenger side first,(the second time is always better and easier than the first time you do something! :roll: ) it has a bit of a bend upwards on the leading edge on the front door, only noticeable if you stand almost behind the car, others may not see it, but I know it's there!!

Mine came in the triangular box too, a bit beat up but intact, it's just a bit light for shipping safely.

I had no instructions, but knew there needed to be clearance for the rear door to open behind the front door(been there :oops: ), I also left enough room on the trailing edge of the doors to apply the 3M Scotchgard door edge guard.

Tim

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One final thing..

I went lower than the Toyota instructions.
Will post measurements with the picture I owe.

After doing and "extensive" survey on how molding is installed it appears that it flows off other lines. I chose to key off the line from the back bumper.

The trick is to remain parallel to the "lower body feature" mentioned in step 2 of the instructions I posted while achieving a line that runs through the line on the rear bumper.

Here is a picture to better explain this. Hopefully you can see the yellow line that runs back to front.

The RAV in the picture is from the Toyota of Canada site. I added a reference line to aid in installation

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
I just tried to make it look good and still offer the protection it's put on there for, but I suppose if it was going to be 100% effective, it would need to be ugly cladding, ala Avalanche....gag!!

Tim

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quickdtoo said:
I just tried to make it look good and still offer the protection it's put on there for, but I suppose if it was going to be 100% effective, it would need to be ugly cladding, ala Avalanche....gag!!

Tim
Agree..

The higher up the more protection.

You can see how the door panel curves out (aka more exposed) the higher up you go.

It amazes me that you can park a mile from the front door to the mall and when you come back you have two 1900's rust buckets or two extend a cab Hummers parked on either side of you. :wall

This is a personal thing.

As I said..yours is the poster child for "why can't we get this in the US" and looks GREAT :cheers:

You also keyed off the front bumper line and the top of the rear bumper (know you were thinking of this all along) so that makes you forward thinking.. :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Heh heh, if that line was blue, it'd look just like the tape I used to line em up.........all 3 or 4 :roll: pieces until it looked straight and in the right spot!! :oops:

Tim

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok,,,,it stopped raining in Seattle. Here is a picture of the Canadian side molding installed

I have another problem.. Picture taken in my back yard :shrug:

1 - 20 of 106 Posts