Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta get my pads and stuff done. Canadian RAV owners... did you go with the Toyota brand (approx $700 +labour) or did you go with an alternative brand that are just as good and saved money.... which I really prefer to do cuz $1200 bucks is YIKES!!! I'm having Toyota do the work because I want them to do/check other things I have no experience with. Any good recommendations for pads and rotors brands? I searched the 4:3 Exterior but could not find info

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't go wrong with Advics since they are oem brake pads.
I also had great results with the Wagner brand with their ThermoQuiet line.
Are Advics are the ones Toyota uses, or are they something I can buy and bring in?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Gotta get my pads and stuff done. Canadian RAV owners... did you go with the Toyota brand (approx $700 +labour) or did you go with an alternative brand that are just as good and saved money.... which I really prefer to do cuz $1200 bucks is YIKES!!! I'm having Toyota do the work because I want them to do/check other things I have no experience with. Any good recommendations for pads and rotors brands? I searched the 4:3 Exterior but could not find info

Thanks.
As your Rav4 is approaching 8yrs, and you live in a possible rust belt, I will suggest that Pads, rotors and calipers are in order, along with a fluid flush. There seems to be 2-3 different grades of brake parts manufactured by the companies that sell them. Unless you do a lot of high speed braking, some of the hi performance pads are unnecessary and under light braking are worse then oem untill they get hot. Have a look at

2009 TOYOTA RAV4 3.5L V6 Caliper | RockAuto

and you will see what i mean.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As your Rav4 is approaching 8yrs, and you live in a possible rust belt, I will suggest that Pads, rotors and calipers are in order, along with a fluid flush. There seems to be 2-3 different grades of brake parts manufactured by the companies that sell them. Unless you do a lot of high speed braking, some of the hi performance pads are unnecessary and under light braking are worse then oem untill they get hot. Have a look at

2009 TOYOTA RAV4 3.5L V6 Caliper | RockAuto

and you will see what i mean.
I need a place in Canada from which to buy. The Canadian dollar is .73 to the US dollar. Ordering from the States... shipping... dollar exchange? Chyyyyte.... i might as well just buy a new car. LOL

And I DO NOT do high speed braking. I am a very light footed driver. I wonder if I need new calipers too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have no idea where you live in Ontario, but there must be an automotive jobber near where you live. NAPA, CarQuest, Canadian Tyre, even amazon.ca.. The reason I suggested new calipers has nothing to do with your driving style, but rather the age of your present calipers and the likelihood that the brake fluid contained within the system will be contaminated with the distinct possibility that rust may have formed within the bore of the caliper body. If the rust is present, and you press the pistons back into their respective bores you could either rip the seals and cause a leak, or the pistons could hang up within the bore and prevent the pistons from retracting after you apply the brakes, causing the brakes to remain on. Either issue will precipitate another expensive repair.

I only directed you to that website to give you an idea of the different types of quality and kits available for your Rav4. Their prices are in Canadian Funds btw, so you could also compare prices to what you can get where you live. The core is the value of your used parts, and the monies you initially pay will have the core charge added to it. The monies will be refunded when you return your old parts. This will hold true regardless of where you purchase your parts, so be prepared, and do not lose your receipts, as sometimes you will not be able to turn in your cores without the correct receipt.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
If you have had the brake fluid flushed each two years or so or if it has been tested and not found to be excessively contaminated you should not need new calipers. The OEM calipers on my 10-year old motorcycle are fine and so far I have had no problem with those on my '11 RAV4, but I do have the brake fluid changed on my RAVif when I test it for contamination the test shows more contamination than there ought to be. Since we live in a high moisture region I automatically change the fluid on my motorcycle each two years.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Purchased Hawk HPS pads and Centric cryo-treated rotors for the front for my 2010 I4 Rav4 around January/Feb. Best improvement over stock brakes. The rear brakes were done at the dealer, due to very low pad thickness.

Even while towing, the feel of braking has greatly improved.

/purchased from Tirerack.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I need a place in Canada from which to buy. The Canadian dollar is .73 to the US dollar. Ordering from the States... shipping... dollar exchange? Chyyyyte.... i might as well just buy a new car. LOL............

I bought the premium brake kit (G3500 cast iron rotors & ceramic pads) last year / rears installed.
- this product ships out of the GTA-Toronto area / so Canadians save large / currently 50% off
- rotors are drilled, slotted & coated / I broke the brakes in hard, for 15 minutes
- my garage friend charged me $150 labor, to do the rear axle / include lube calipers, pins & shims
- still using original calipers, that came on the 2008 RAV4 v6 / one was sticking, mechanic fixed it

^^ Probably saved $700-800 per axle avoiding Dealership, and end up with great parts.
- could not be happier / improved stopping distance & zero noise
- brake dust on alloy rims, almost nothing
- will have the front brakes done, this fall
- since I ordered a 4 wheel kit, just a labor charge next time

MaxBrakes ELITE xDS Series Kits, shipped out of Ontario, Canada:
Brake Kits - ELITE xDS Series Kits
^^ Company also ships to USA customers.

First time I bought a 4 wheel brake kit, saved $500 in parts (for Jimmy), not purchasing from local NAPA/UAP.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Advics is basically Aisin... just their brakes/rotors division.

I'd get Akebono from Rockauto if they have them for the RAV4, thinking of getting them for my XRS, I always hear good things about them, so why not.

Also comparing prices with Rockauto in the US against Napa and CT in the Toronto area, even after customs and shipping, I get better prices on rotors/pads and most parts. I could not find anything here that comes even closer to Rockauto prices, unless you want the crappy $30-40 rotors off-branded at most parts places, that usually warp in a few months.

For example, Wagner rotors at CT or other parts places are usually in the the $65 on sale to $80 regular price range plus taxes, if I got them from Rockauto, with shipping, customs and taxes I'm in the high $40s plus tax

1 - 13 of 13 Posts