Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy doody, all

Was wondering if anyone has carried a canoe directly on the factory roof racks (2003)? We have an Old Town Camper canoe (about 60 pounds); according to the manual the limit is 75 pounds, but we are leery of putting the canoe right on the racks! We were going to get load bars, but I'm wondering if it's worth it (added weight and all).

Any thoughts? Those bass are waiting to be caught!

Thanks,
janey

·
Registered
986 Posts
I carried a full size mattress and box spring on mine for 100 miles with no problems; it was probably over 100 lbs. combined weight. I would think a canoe is somewhat more aerodynamic than a mattress so you should be fine. Just remember to use some sort of padding between the canoe and the rails of the roof rack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also keenly interested as i am in the same situation of wanting to carry a canoe on factory racks for long distances. Does anyone else on the forum have any wisdom on this topic.

Paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
I carried my 50 pound kayak on the factory racks last year using Malone 'J' style holders. I'm not happy with the setup. My crossbars are now loose and 'wiggly'. The short distance between bars made the kayak too much like a seesaw. Hitting any bumps really made the boat bang around too much. I'm thinking about getting aftermarket crossbars so i can mount them a few more inches apart to lessen the amount of weight being carried both fore and aft of the bars, thereby lessening then bouncing when going over bumps.
Jim.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would suggest supplementing any canoe setup with the foam type cushions a buddy of mine used on top of his car. Having them further fore and aft should help minimize seesawing.

They were shaped like pyramids and slipped over the canoe sidewalls. Then the larger end rested on is car roof and he tied off the canoe ends to each bumper of course - All done without a roof rack.

Seems like that would make for a better "total" system for the RAV. Just pad the crossbars too and lash that canoe every which way until you feel comfortable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts