Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I just bought a used Rav4 2007 but unfortunately found a problem with locking the car :
1) The 2 FOB remotes' lock-unlock function is not working. no response when click lock nor unlock buttons.
2) The car can only open the door manually (turning the key to the right) but turning the key to the left (to lock it) is blocked.

Also The following info will be helpful to understand the case
1) I am talking about the 2 original Toyota FOBs having the same issue.
2) The red panic button in the remote is working well and the horn will sound when holding the red button and would stop when clicking lock key.
3) The FOB battery should be ok since the panic button is working and the led is working fine.
4) The lock-unlock button in the driver door (beside the window buttons) is working normally.
5) there is an after market remote starter installed in the car. I can see the receiver behind the rear view mirror but I don't have the remote starter itself.
6) I would assume that there is no problem with key programming because the 2 FOBs have the same issue and also the panic button is ok.
7) being unable to lock the car manually using the key is weird to me as if something is blocking the key from turning left in the door lock.
8) The audio & head lights are ok.
9) There could be a problem caused by the after market remote starter .. maybe .. I am not sure.
10) I tried to google the problem .. I found people referring to fuse, relay and remote receiver problem but the information was not clear to me and I did not try anything till now.
Today I took it to Toyota dealership thinking that it is a common simple problem. I was told that they cant identify the problem and the whole remote system needs to be replaced for 800$.
Of course I was not satisfied with this result as I felt the technician wasn't able to troubleshoot the problem, and replacing the system will not guarantee that it would work.

I am confident that I would find more help on this friendly forum. please advise guys.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
115 Posts
The problem with the key not turning in the cylinder to lock the doors is probably quite simple. Most people who have remotes never use their keys in the doors. This being the case, the tumblers can seize up in either direction or one direction or the other. I would spray some WD40 into the lock mechanism and then start working the key in and out and giggling it around. You may need to do this a couple of times a day for a couple of days but there is a good chance it will work its way out.

As of the lock/unlock button not working, that's another story. I have to ask because you did not mention it. Have you tried the lock/unlock button on the inside armrest? If not, give it a try and see if the doors will lock/unlock, if not then you may have bad actuators in the doors themselves or a bad fuse in the fuse panel (the owners manual will tell you which one it is, probably not though as the panic button works). If the armrest switches are working, then you know it is not the actuators.

I did work at a GM dealership for a few years and did see some remote starts do some funky things with electronics on vehicles. I am not saying this is the case but if all else fails and you do not have the remote anyway, I would suggest taking the remote start right out.

These are the cheapest easiest solutions to try on your own and if they do not work then you are left with one of two solutions. Leave it and deal with it, or take it in for fixing. Chances are Toyota know exactly what is wrong with it, but taking it to almost any dealership guarantees replacement of parts instead of fixing the issue. What tis means is, it may be as simple as taking something apart and soldering a wire or two but at a dealership they will just replace the part. They make more money this way.

Good luck with it, and let me know with what you end up finding out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Canon101 for the quick response and explanation, really appreciated.
the lock/unlock button on the inside armrest is working normally.
I will try doing what you suggested and will update you.

Any other ideas, please let me know.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Is the problem with all doors, or are some doors working? Check rear hatch as well.

Do the lights flash and the beep sound occur when attempting to lock/unlock?

Do the dome lights come on when attempting to unlock the door?

Is the "door open" indicator illuminated on the dash?. Do you get the long beep when attempting to lock the doors, indicating an open door?.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I'd take it to an auto alarm/audio shop. My money is on that after-market remote start thing is hosed. Have the shop trace out the thing and remove it completely.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I just read your post again and if you can turn the key to open but not lock it manually makes me think the key lock is partially sticking. Lubricate the door lock with silicone spray and turn the key back and forth and respray to free any stuck mechanism in the lock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a clue that may lead to the solution.

I noticed that when I first open the door, the car start beeping right away ( the same beep that you hear when you open the door while the key is in ignition) although the key is actually not inserted.
I also tried to program as per @Canon101, but no luck.

I did an experiment on another Toyota (that has no issues), I inserted one key in ignition and tried to lock/unlock through the other remote and it did not allow me. It only allowed the panic button (which is the same problem happening in the Rav4).

So from all the above, my conclusion is that the limit switch of the ignition key cylinder is always giving a false signal as if the key is inserted, that why the car does not respond to the remote.

My question now turns to : how to reach this limit switch and how to fix it ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
That's the clue I was waiting for. The beeping you hear is from the keysense switch sensor located in the key switch. If you open the steering wheel cover you will see a small connector with 2 thin wires coming out of it. See if there is any other wire spice to it. If there is an aftermarket remote starter install in the vehicle, changes is they will need that wire to work with the immobilizer bypass module to allow remote starting your vehicle. If you do not see any wire spice to it, disconnect that connector and see if the beeping stops. If it does, you should be able to unlock and lock your car door remotely and also manually at the door. This sensor/switch prevent the remote/FOB from operation when a key is sense or inserted into the key cylinder.

If all works well with the connector disconnected, try to measure the resistance on the switch with the key in and out. When the key is inserted, you should get a dead short and open circuit when the key is removed.

If you see a wire from the remote starter attached or splice to it, disconnect it and check the keyless entry system again. Sometime the remote starter module shorted out and will keep this line grounded. This will tell the vehicle that there is a key inserted in the key cylinder and disable all keyless entry function. Try to find out what make of remote starter and/or immobilizer bypass that is installed and I will try to find some information for you to help you with your troubleshooting.

Reactions: ravenuer

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's the clue I was waiting for. The beeping you hear is from the keysense switch sensor located in the key switch. If you open the steering wheel cover you will see a small connector with 2 thin wires coming out of it. See if there is any other wire spice to it. If there is an aftermarket remote starter install in the vehicle, changes is they will need that wire to work with the immobilizer bypass module to allow remote starting your vehicle. If you do not see any wire spice to it, disconnect that connector and see if the beeping stops. If it does, you should be able to unlock and lock your car door remotely and also manually at the door. This sensor/switch prevent the remote/FOB from operation when a key is sense or inserted into the key cylinder.

If all works well with the connector disconnected, try to measure the resistance on the switch with the key in and out. When the key is inserted, you should get a dead short and open circuit when the key is removed.

If you see a wire from the remote starter attached or splice to it, disconnect it and check the keyless entry system again. Sometime the remote starter module shorted out and will keep this line grounded. This will tell the vehicle that there is a key inserted in the key cylinder and disable all keyless entry function. Try to find out what make of remote starter and/or immobilizer bypass that is installed and I will try to find some information for you to help you with your troubleshooting.
I agree with this...some jackass wired the remote starter wrong so now the rav thinks the key is always in the ignition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there any shop who can troubleshoot this issue ?

I went to couple of remote starter shops/dealer and tried to explain the issue. The reply was always: " we can either remove the remote starter or program a new remote on the current system but we don't guarantee to resolve the issue".

I am afraid that if I messed up with wires, that would expand the problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts

I went to couple of remote starter shops/dealer and tried to explain the issue. The reply was always: " we can either remove the remote starter or program a new remote on the current system but we don't guarantee to resolve the issue".

Thanks

Just follow my instruction and remove the steering wheel covers. Look for the connector that has only 2 wires. Usually they are Blue and another one that is White with a black strip. Disconnect the connector and check to see if the remote door will work. Next you would need a voltmeter to check the voltage in the wires. Both pins on the key cylinder side should read less than 1V. On the wire side, the Blue wire should read 12V and the White/Black strip should be less than 1V. If the key sense switch is working properly, you should see the same reading when you reconnect the connector without a key in the keyswitch cylinder. If this the case, test the remote control again. If remote lock and unlock still work, then insert the key in the cylinder without turning the key. See if remote still work. It should not be working.

If you after you unplug that connector, and the remote still not working, then you will have to trace the wire hareness to where the installer put the remote start module. When you find it, unplug the the wire hareness from the module and test the remote again. If the remote starter module is at fault, then the remote lock and unlock should be working now.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

Thanks
If you're not comfortable trouble shooting it yourself and you want to get it fixed, then you're going to have to do what the shop suggests: remove the suspected problem, the remote start system. No, they're not going to guarantee it'll fix it, but it's certainly your prime suspect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts