Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get the Bolt out on the Crank Pully for a 1999 Toyota RAV.

Are the Threads reveresed or nomal. I don't want to strip the bolt.
:x

·
Registered
432 Posts
First of all, it's on there at around 80 ft lbs. plus it has been on there 6 years now, plenty of time to get all corroded up. Try an impact wrench. I've heard of that working. Or a big breaker bar (24in. with a cheater bar even so its even longer.)

Should be a normal right hand thread.

Another thing I heard about, but don't necessarily recommend except as a last resort, is by taking a long breaker bar attached to a strong extension bar and socket and wedge it against. the frame of the car. Then have somebody blip (very lightly) hit the ignition for a split second. While holding the handle of the bar, so that it breaks the bolt loose.

That was done on a 3s-gte on an MR2. Like I said though, I don't recommend it. Just for info.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You again first time I have replaced timing belt and this seems to be the hard part of the whole process. I have an impact wrench. Though I am not making much progress I will keep at it and hope the darn thing turns off. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t making things worse. Your information makes me feel better.

Again
Thank You

Thank You Very Much

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I could not get it off so I have thrown in the towl and taken it to a mechanic. In the process I have Broke 2 Hardened sockets and 3 (3") extention bars. I don't want to strip the bolt so I will let the mechanic curse the darn things creation. I hope the Mechanic is nice :twisted:. I don't want to get :shock: taken when I get the bill.

I curse that crank pully bolt :evil: :!: :!:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tonylj said:
How do you get the Bolt out on the Crank Pully for a 1999 Toyota RAV.

Are the Threads reveresed or nomal. I don't want to strip the bolt.
:x
I beleive a compressed air impact wrench is supposed to bring it off no problem ??????

However the way I have done it (and this is pretty much what the book says -

Fabricate a 2 or 3 foot long bar that is bolted into the two 12mm bolt holes on the pulley Then undo with a long breaker bar.

The way I did it in adition to this was wedge the improvsed tool on the floor and pull the breaker bar with the socket on with all my strength 8)

For safety it is probably worth doing with the car sat on the floor before jacking or tyre removal - theres plent of room and even a little access hole in the cover

1 - 6 of 6 Posts