Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was replacing my battery I left the old on the seat. Anybody know how to clean this so I don’t burn my friend’s skin off when they sit there? I’ve already rubbed this with a little water and a paper towel.

·
Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
Don't use the seat again until it's replaced.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I agree with Dr. Dyno there may still maybe some acid left and this can burn your clothing and skin. Find another set of rear seats in the wreckers or Ebay. Here is a used one but I am not sure it is the right color.

You can neutralize the acid with baking soda mixed with water. Use some thick rubber gloves and be careful not to splatter water every where.

I would avoid thinking about sitting there since you may not get all the acid out.

·
Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
Sulfuric acid is so corrosive and dangerous I kinda hope this thread is a spoof. If not I can see it burning thru the seat and into the carpet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with Dr. Dyno there may still maybe some acid left and this can burn your clothing and skin. Find another set of rear seats in the wreckers or Ebay. Here is a used one but I am not sure it is the right color.

You can neutralize the acid with baking soda mixed with water. Use some thick rubber gloves and be careful not to splatter water every where.

I would avoid thinking about sitting there since you may not get all the acid out.
I’ll try the baking soda out...what do you think the junkyard price of a seat is? I’d rather not pay $300

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Another thing is it would be a very good idea to take the seats out for now in case the acid keeps eating its way down to the carpet and damaging it.

·
Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
I’ll try the baking soda out...what do you think the junkyard price of a seat is? I’d rather not pay $300
Another thing is it would be a very good idea to take the seats out for now in case the acid keeps eating its way down to the carpet and damaging it.
Good idea DL, Adding any more liquid will likely just force the problem lower and the carpet will need to be replaced too. Remove the seat and use another car. Then put baking soda on the carpet and hope it doesn't react.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good idea DL, Adding any more liquid will likely just force the problem lower and the carpet will need to be replaced too. Remove the seat and use another car. Then put baking soda on the carpet and hope it doesn't react.
Thanks. I don’t have another car...but I’ll remove the seat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
frondi42
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing