Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
馃嚚馃嚘 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dat useful content during quarantine, how's your Friday?

One of my favourite things to do in the summer are drive-in movies (still a few in Ontario) with the family and can't wait to go again when the quarantine is over. I stumbled on a thread in the gen4.4 hybrid sub, but it didn't flesh the topic out fully, what's your take?

The vehicle shuts itself off automatically in approximately 1-hour when in the READY ON mode and in P, and approximately 20-mins when in ACC mode and in P. So if you're comfy in the back with the seats down this is quite a mood breaker. And yes, you can get an external battery radio, but where's the fun in problem solving 馃嵒

Some screen caps from the Canadian manual on the subject (P.215-P.217):

Alternative (last point) observed by @BrickedKeyboard
you can just hit the interior door lock button to disable the shut-off. I camp in my prius occasionally, and I just turn off the exterior lights and use the control wheel on the interior.
Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 1.10.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 1.10.40 PM.png

GOAL:
We're looking to avoid additional strain on the much smaller than GAS model hybrid 12V battery by NOT keeping the vehicle in ACC mode and maintain optimal movie laziness. Or if you got a spare jumper pack and that's your solution go for it, if not, read on.

SOLUTION:
To bypass the auto-off in a controlled environment AND have the exterior lights fully off during the movie:
-while the vehicle is in READY ON and parked, turn the light stalk to off
-hold down the brake pedal (as you'll be on a slight incline)
-engage the P-brake
-press the power button
-power car back on as you normally would (brake pedal depressed)
-shift to N and make sure the P brake is still engaged
-enjoy your popcorn while in (mostly) silent READY ON mode

*Make sure all extra convenience powers (ex: A/C, defrosters, seat warmers, cabin lights, etc.) are off and you are using only the radio for minimal power draw, unless you want the conveniences on - the ICE will probably kick in more often to recharge the hybrid battery pack
**Covering the MID and head unit is the classic method for a dark cabin (towel) or turn off the head unit display fully in the menu
***Extra precaution if you're freaked out leaving the car in N, or the P-brake fails, chock your tires. I keep 2 blocks in the spare area for emergency roadside maintenance anyways

Registered
2019 Hybrid RAV4
Do you tested this setup? I suppose, while shift in N and hybrid battery drains low, engine kicks in, but cannot charge. Actually dangerous situation for hybrid battery. If it drains too low, you will need Toyota assistance.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Do you tested this setup? I suppose, while shift in N and hybrid battery drains low, engine kicks in, but cannot charge. Actually dangerous situation for hybrid battery. If it drains too low, you will need Toyota assistance.
Only tested it while I chilled listening to a podcast when I went for a drive @ night, podcast was about 1hour and 20 minutes. The ICE kicked in 4x to charge the hybrid battery. If the ICE isn鈥檛 charging thats a whole other problem lol.

Let us know how your rear deck board holds up with 2 adult bodies on it. :p
I see what you mean, been seeing people reinforce the dead space with wood planks. We mostly sit in the front with the car facing the screen (I like the seat warmers), but will think on the lay flat setup 馃嵒

Registered
Thank you for posting this!!

I'm interested in using this method to sleep all night in the back of a 2019 hybrid RAV4.

That being said, you've only discussed doing this for an hour or two. Can you run the 2019 Rav4 hybrid overnight with AC/Heat for climate controlled car camping?

I've seen this discussed for camping/overnight sleeping in a Prius. Sounds like a pretty nice setup.
But I also read that maybe the car shuts off after being in idle for 20minutes? Or is that only on the 2020? Can anyone verify this for me 100%?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

I'm interested in using this method to sleep all night in the back of a 2019 hybrid RAV4.

That being said, you've only discussed doing this for an hour or two. Can you run the 2019 Rav4 hybrid overnight with AC/Heat for climate controlled car camping?

I've seen this discussed for camping/overnight sleeping in a Prius. Sounds like a pretty nice setup.
I can't see why not. The main thing I wanted to test is if the car would shut off past the one-hour mark which it didn't. In theory you probably can run the car all night (6+ hours) while say camping in the config above 'assuming' there is no additional fail safe that would shut off the vehicle after an extended period without movement (nothing indicated in the manual). Worst case it DOES turn off, nothing really to be alarmed about, just a muggy sleep.

FYI I had all my climate controls OFF, and the A/C @ the lowest temp with passive airflow enabled to have the ICE turn on the least amount. I was parked by the waterfront, the night was cool and windy and it was enough to let air flow into the cabin adequately enough - something to consider instead of turning on the climate control. If you DO end up running the climate control, it would probably just engage the ICE more often which could wake you up more often, the ICE turning on is no Rolls Royce lol.

I would however strongly consider the following things before attempting a full night sleep:
  • Ensure you're not in an enclosed space (ex: garage/indoors) where IF the hybrid system failed while you're asleep, you wouldn't die due to ICE fume build up, potential battery gas leak from either the back right seat battery vent or the internal cargo battery - easy solution is have a small crack in the window just to be safe
  • Have enough gas in the tank to ensure the ICE is adequately equipped to work for the long haul (like a generator @ a campsite) and won't run dry while you're asleep
  • The ICE regenerating the hybrid battery only versus a combination of ICE + REGENERATIVE BRAKING, do keep in mind you're putting additional wear and tear on a system that wasn't designed to operate in ICE only 24/7. Every now and then this way I'm sure is fine (2-3 weekend camping trips a month), but extended daily continuous use I'm sure would reduce the lifespan of the vehicle over time. So just be aware of what you're looking to achieve, and adjust based on your lifestyle 馃
But I also read that maybe the car shuts off after being in idle for 20minutes? Or is that only on the 2020? Can anyone verify this for me 100%?
According to my 2020 Canadian Manual (should be the same for 2019, and around world) as shown in OP:
When in ACC mode and in P - car shuts off in 20 minutes
When in READY ON mode and in P - car shuts off in 1 hour

Being in any other gear in either mode will bypass the automatic shutoff.

Registered
Agreed. Fantastic post. Thanks for the follow up!

This article really detailed how valuable and convenient a hybrid vehicle can be for camping, not just for sleeping in it but for other ways too. This is for a big GMC Truck, but I'm sure some of the same ideas apply.

Registered
You can run the AC efficiently with the Rav4 Hybrid but not the heat. The heat is made from engine heat so it is not very efficient. Running heat in a cold climate would be similar to running heat in a common ICE car and use lots of fuel overnight. The upcoming Rav4 Prime will use an electric heat pump so that will be efficient. If I needed heat in a non-plug in hybrid I would use an inverter and a heating blanket. The AC is electric so the engine will cycle as needed.

Registered
Umm if I am reading the above correctly, you can just hit the interior door lock button to disable the shut-off? I camp in my prius occasionally, and I just turn off the exterior lights and use a the control wheel on the interior.

What does shifting to neutral with parking brake accomplish?

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Umm if I am reading the above correctly, you can just hit the interior door lock button to disable the shut-off? I camp in my prius occasionally, and I just turn off the exterior lights and use a the control wheel on the interior.

What does shifting to neutral with parking brake accomplish?
You're right, I think I'm reading it the same way as you.

Shifting to N would just be the mechanical way to bypass the auto-shut off, and what I tried. But if it's as easy as just pressing the lock button on the door, well I'll be damned that's a lot easier. Will give it a go on my next podcast chill-out. Cheers!

Registered
This is new for 2020? My 2019 XSE will stay on (READY ON + Park) until the gas runs out. Well.. I've at least tested 8-9hrs. I've used it several times while camping in the back with my wife. I mainly wanted a bit of heat (scared us at first when the engine would randomly turn on) and for airflow.

Registered
This is new for 2020? My 2019 XSE will stay on (READY ON + Park) until the gas runs out. Well.. I've at least tested 8-9hrs. I've used it several times while camping in the back with my wife. I mainly wanted a bit of heat (scared us at first when the engine would randomly turn on) and for airflow.
As mentioned above, it's going to be pretty nice once the "Prime" style is dominant. Heat pump means no need to fire on the engine for heat, and a larger battery means the engine may not need to come on at all. I mean obviously the assumption (this is shared by the automakers) is that over time the plug-in hybrids will become a greater and greater portion of the market share, and then after that more and more of the market will be a mix of pure EVs and plug-in hybrids. I mean, maybe. In aircraft it went from various piston engines to essentially 100 percent some variant of jet, except for a few recreational/trainer models. (turboprops are all driven by a jet engine)

Registered
As mentioned above, it's going to be pretty nice once the "Prime" style is dominant. Heat pump means no need to fire on the engine for heat, and a larger battery means the engine may not need to come on at all. I mean obviously the assumption (this is shared by the automakers) is that over time the plug-in hybrids will become a greater and greater portion of the market share, and then after that more and more of the market will be a mix of pure EVs and plug-in hybrids. I mean, maybe. In aircraft it went from various piston engines to essentially 100 percent some variant of jet, except for a few recreational/trainer models. (turboprops are all driven by a jet engine)
Yup. Honestly, if I knew of the development of the Prime before I bought my XSE, I might have waited, but it's not like I have buyers remorse or anything! I'm enjoying the vehicle as-is just fine.

Registered
Yup. Honestly, if I knew of the development of the Prime before I bought my XSE, I might have waited, but it's not like I have buyers remorse or anything! I'm enjoying the vehicle as-is just fine.
Well this reminds me of the PC processor/GPU debate. There's always something better coming out Real Soon. And, unlike with cars, the newer part is substantially better. But if you keep waiting you'll be stuck on some obsolete junk for a decade.

The Prime's cost savings are slight and the depreciation from owning one (the first couple years) will exceed the depreciation (for now on) if you just keep your XSE.

Registered
I think with fuel prices so low, the only reason why I would buy the Prime is if I pulled a small camping trailer and boondocked. I would use the Prime's battery and an inverter for my electrical needs coupled with solar panels.

Well this reminds me of the PC processor/GPU debate. There's always something better coming out Real Soon. And, unlike with cars, the newer part is substantially better. But if you keep waiting you'll be stuck on some obsolete junk for a decade.

The Prime's cost savings are slight and the depreciation from owning one (the first couple years) will exceed the depreciation (for now on) if you just keep your XSE.

Registered
I think with fuel prices so low, the only reason why I would buy the Prime is if I pulled a small camping trailer and boondocked. I would use the Prime's battery and an inverter for my electrical needs coupled with solar panels.
Present fuel prices is not a great argument. The shut down wells are going to cause the prices to yo yo back up to higher than before covid for a period of time. After the shale companies all go bankrupt, the new companies that rise from the ashes may have more difficulty borrowing as much money as before as well.

Registered
You can run the AC efficiently with the Rav4 Hybrid but not the heat. The heat is made from engine heat so it is not very efficient. Running heat in a cold climate would be similar to running heat in a common ICE car and use lots of fuel overnight. The upcoming Rav4 Prime will use an electric heat pump so that will be efficient. If I needed heat in a non-plug in hybrid I would use an inverter and a heating blanket. The AC is electric so the engine will cycle as needed.
Unless you have an outlet to plug in to while camping, you'll still need to run the engine occasionally to heat your vehicle with the Prime. You may not have to run it as much though, because heat can be produced by waste heat from the engine, AND mechanical energy that's been turned into/stored as electrical energy (which is then reconverted into heat via a heat pump).

Registered
Unless you have an outlet to plug in to while camping, you'll still need to run the engine occasionally to heat your vehicle with the Prime. You may not have to run it as much though, because heat can be produced by waste heat from the engine, AND mechanical energy that's been turned into/stored as electrical energy (which is then reconverted into heat via a heat pump).
What you could do is put the prime into charge sustain mode (HV I think on the selector knob) on the way to the campground. Then you have 16kwh of battery to camp with, probably enough for a night or 2 on heat pump without engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Loving the feedback here, added some of your input into the OP @BrickedKeyboard 馃嵒

I love camping and honestly never really thought about the luxuries the car might add. Aside from having a higher fee for an electrical site @ an Ontario Provincial site, why not just get a cheapo (not that cheap) power station for some luxuries like this one:

I'm of the mindset wear and tear, and does Toyota HV or PRIME have the quality for extended use.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts