Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to tack this onto the end of my post about car warranties, but I figured it should have its own thread.

I may be going off on a rant here, but I have a story about a car dealer that you will love.

Several years ago, my sister-in-law went to one of the Curry dealerships in Westchester, NY (which are all horrible) to buy a used car. I think it was back in '94 or '95, but she was looking at a used '92 Nissan Sentra that was in the price range she could afford. She was fairly young and didn't know that much about cars, so of course the salesman took advantage of her.

This particular salesman told her that this Sentra came standard with dual air bags and ABS brakes, which of course the Sentras in 1992 did not. Not only did he lie to her about these features, but I believe the price was also jacked up to include these features. Not really understanding the concept of dual air bags and ABS brakes, she bought the car thinking it had them both.

The way she ultimately found out the salesman had lied was because of a call from her insurance company soon after she bought the car. I guess she was applying for the insurance, and had indicated on the application that the car had dual air bags and ABS brakes. Well the insurance company called her one day an told here she must have made a mistake because '92 Nissan Sentras did not have dual air bags and ABS brakes. Long story short, she and my brother figured out the story, and were very mad that she had been lied to. Of course when they presented this to the dealership, they had no evidence to back up what the salesman said, and of course he denied ever making those claims. It was a "he said she said" situation that never got resolved.

Some people might think "maybe the salesman was mistaken", but even the dumbest salesman knows what features a car has.

Moral of the story- never take a car dealer's word for anything. Always do your homework and get documentation so there's a paper trail in case you need the evidence for a dispute.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It sucks when some salesmen take advantage of people. I consider myself one of those people that don't know anything and rely on others. This is the first time ever that I own a car, so I basically don't know anything, except for very basic stuff :p. Thanks for the lesson, Jeff, I would totally do my homework before making any major changes.
Miriam

·
Registered
207 Posts
Everytime I visit a car dealer, especially the grey-import ones, it's always me who ends up correcting each & every mistake the sales person makes about any car!

:mrgreen:

J

·
0 Posts
yeah the dealer told my mother he wouldn't charge her tax in delaware for her 4runner. He just jacked up the price for it. LIER.

Also the dealer in delaware threaten that his wife would stop coming to my mothers nail salon if we didnt buy my rav4 from them.

well i got my rav4 for $24800. when i could have gotten it for $24200 here in New Jersey CHerry Hill from a guy I Trust.

Goes to show how some people take advantage of older people who aren't fluent in english.

Oh the dealership is called CF Shwartz in Dover Delaware.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I say if the dealer can get away with scamming someone these days, more power to them.

With the wealth of information on sites like edmunds.com and the net available for free in public libraries, there's just no excuse for being an uninformed car buyer anymore. If a dealer's lucky enough to come across one, let good old captialistic opportunity run its course.

·
Registered
611 Posts
:twisted: You know thats why I love my LG ENV phone I can voice record like 8 hours without running out of space if I ever think I might need it I just hit record and it records all the things going on around me.It has a very good mic because even with other noise or distant sound it is clear.I have installed a 2GIG micro sd card and love it. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts