Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there was some sort of diagnostics program (that would possibly monitor car functions like speed etc...) that you could run on a laptop and hook up to your car to monitor your rav4's "stats" in real time? Anyone know of such a program? Thanks for any information...

-justinr
Toyota Rav4 1998

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Well, it's not a Windows program for your laptop, but something like this - http://www.scangauge.com - might be an option. It's a small device that you plug into your OBDII port. It'll read and reset diagnostic codes as well as provide real-time information about fuel flow, fuel economy, miles to empty, max and avg. speed, throttle position, battery voltage, etc.

I just ordered one of these and plan to use it for monitoring fuel economy, real time and by trip, instead of having to do it by tank.

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Davis Automotive makes the CarChip module that plugs into the OBDII interface and logs data -- you connect it to your computer by USB or Serial port. I haven't personally seen the software, but some of the data is supposed to be real-time -- not sure if you can connect it to your PC for real-time info. Especially good for troubleshooting.

Amazon usually has it on sale for much lower than retail.

Found this other software called the OBD-2 Scan Tool. I'm sure there's other hardware/software combos out there.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a Carchip for about a week. It does work really well, but you can't watch real time data with it. You plug it into the OBD port, log data while you're driving, then download into your computer. I have a Auterra scan tool that plugs into my Palm and it works great. www.auterraweb.com It supports almost all cars with OBDII from 96 on. Not the new CAN vehicles though. I love mine. It's really easy to use for monitoring O2 sensors, fuel trims, manifold pressure, timing, calculated load, etc. Plus, it supports Mac OS X for all of you Mac users.

It also has some other features that I haven't tried yet. Acceleration and horsepower tests are included in the software, but you need to know a lot of specifics about the RAV that I didn't know. Gear ratios, frontal area in sq ft, and drag coefficient.

Let me know if you have any questions about this one.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just on Auterra's website and downloaded the updated software for my scan tool, and now it says it does support CAN as well as the other OBDII formats. Now I should be able to use it on any OBDII car from 96 and on. Cool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts