Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't bother; the headlights are not optically designed to direct that type of source. I've tried LED kits twice, both were a waste if time.

If you want more light, your cheapest bet is switching to 9012 halogens for the low beams.

·
Super Moderator
10,141 Posts
DD? That's not Dr Dyno is it? :wink

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ordered the LED kit ... but they would only work if I reversed the polarity ... which means I need to cut and solder wires, and that was NOT what I wanted to do. Returned them and installed the 9011 and 9012s ... very happy with them

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed LED headlights and foglights on my 2013 Tacoma and it was literally 'plug and play'! I have daytime running lights, but they are orange, so I didn't have to even touch the daytime lights! I get waaaaayyy more light when driving at night with LED headlights and Fogs! I have always had HID's in the past, but they constantly go out and there was so much wiring for installation, so I decided to go the LED route.
I'd like to install LED's in my 2008 Rav4 Limited (headlights and Fogs) but I'm concerned the daytime running lights will be an issue since they are also the High Beams (will that be a problem?)
I like the 6000k temperature, it's a silvery white color and reflects light and lines on the road and isn't horribly blinding to oncoming drivers like my HID's were...
The user manual says replacement halogens HIGH 9005 and LOW 9006 and FOG 55D
I see so many options on the 5 or 6 threads here and I want to be sure that I won't run into any major issues before spending the money...
I'd love to install projectors, but for now, I just want the LED bulbs...
Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Because my aftermarket HID kit has one faulty ballast, I thought to exchage the whole headlight HID kit for headlight LED's of 4000 Lumen in H11 socket.
One of the most reliable aftermarket HID/LED resellers in our country advised NOT to use LED headlights in a car with lens shaped headlights.
The LED headlights are designed in such a way, that in a lens shaped headlight most light will be internally reflected and won't come out of the headlight.
Result: more powerfull LED headlights, less light than HID's. They advised to install a new HID +50% kit, with Xenon bulbs which produce 50% more light.

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Yeah, I was a little suspicious after some more thought... I think I'll stick with these: 2 Set Combo 100w White 9006 Low 9005 High Beam 5000K Xenon HID Light Bulbs 4Pcs | eBay Fingers crossed!
From experience I would avoid the blue tinted bulbs since they give less light than stock. For the low beams I recommend 9012 (HIR2) bulbs. I have Philips 9012 bulbs and they are bright enough.The bulbs has 50 % more lumens than the stock bulb. For the fog I used Philips H9 which is even brighter than my low beam. Together they provide lots of usable light. Note you will need to trim the bulb to make them fit which is very easy to do. Halogen is the way to go for a reflector housing plus they are reliable and easy to install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts