Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have a security system installed in your RAV4 Hybrid? Which system did you chose and why? Was it installed at a dealership or an independent aftermarket installation shop? Please share your experience with it, both good and bad. I want to additional security for my 2022 RAV4 XLE Hybrid and would appreciate first hand recommendations.

·
Registered
218 Posts
No amount of security will stop a professional from stealing your vehicle.
Now if you want something to stop break ins or damage, a dash cam might be better if it has movement activation enabled.

·
Registered
2022 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
102 Posts
Now if you want something to stop break ins or damage, a dash cam might be better if it has movement activation enabled.

How will a dash cam stop break-ins or damage? Unlike a camera someone has mounted in front of their house, there is absolutely no deterrent value to having an aftermarket dash cam when it comes to break-in's or vandalism. In some cases, it may be the target itself of a break-in.

·
Registered
218 Posts
How will a dash cam stop break-ins or damage? Unlike a camera someone has mounted in front of their house, there is absolutely no deterrent value to having an aftermarket dash cam when it comes to break-in's or vandalism. In some cases, it may be the target itself of a break-in.
Nothing will stop break ins or thefts ever. You could sleep beside the car and someone could come stick a gun in your face and take it from you .
I was simply giving an opinion. If you feel that you have a better or smarter idea feel free to enlighten us.

In my honest opinion I've never heard of a single RAV4 being stolen and car thefts are rampant in my area. Professional thieves go for high end vehicles,
I wouldn't install any sort of aftermarket alarm to be honest.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Best case of a dash-cam? Some units have cellular link capability and cloud linking with storage which would provide video of the act after the fact . . . . if the planets align, the parking function is setup, and battery power is sufficient, and the thief doesn't avoid walking in front of the camera.

My personal favorite would be "For Your Eyes Only" al la James Bond's Lotus Esprit self destructs via unsurvivable explosion triggered by henchmen.

Insurance agent: So, someone tried to steal your vehicle? How do you know?
Me: They're dead following the vehicle exploding. They must have been packing plastique.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Best case of a dash-cam? Some units have cellular link capability and cloud linking with storage which would provide video of the act after the fact . . . . if the planets align, the parking function is setup, and battery power is sufficient, and the thief doesn't avoid walking in front of the camera.

My personal favorite would be "For Your Eyes Only" al la James Bond's Lotus Esprit self destructs via unsurvivable explosion triggered by henchmen.

Insurance agent: So, someone tried to steal your vehicle? How do you know?
Me: They're dead following the vehicle exploding. They must have been packing plastique.
Weird, I've had these same thoughts about catalytic converter stealing fools. A nice strong nut kick while they are still under the car cutting o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Freeman

·
Registered
2011 Barcelona Red Rav4 Sport
113 Posts
Reactions: JFox562

·
Registered
2022 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
102 Posts

Nothing will stop break ins or thefts ever. You could sleep beside the car and someone could come stick a gun in your face and take it from you .
I was simply giving an opinion. If you feel that you have a better or smarter idea feel free to enlighten us.
Better or smarter idea? All I'm saying is that a dash cam is not a theft deterrent on a parked vehicle. It is also fair to say that 99% of all dash cams sold do not have a SIM card (i.e. capability to sent video via a cell signal). This isn't a Debbie Downer thing, rather the reality that break-in's occur and a dash cam can actually make it more inviting as an item itself to steal. As to a deterrent, that would all depend on the level of deterrence. A pit bull in the car with the windows down an inch or two (on a cool day and with the vehicle parked in the shade) in an area with high foot traffic will probably not be touched. But it is unrealistic to think you can leave a pit bull, German Shepard or any dog for that matter in a vehicle for an extended period, especially if it is hot outside.

Beyond the basics like parking in a well lit area with high visibility public traffic, it is the law of averages your car will be hit. Just like getting rear ended on the freeway. You can do everything possible to be a safe driver, but some things are out of your control.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts