Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, In the past year I have felt a shudder 4 different times when coming to a stop. The last time it actually stalled when I felt it happen at a stop sign. It started back up and ran with no problems for the last couple of days but it worries me. I believe that every time it happened I had used the car and then parked it for a short time then went to use it again and within a mile or two I felt the shudder when I came to a stop. Is there a sensor or valve that disengages the transmission at a stop? It almost felt like it had a standard transmission and when coming to a stop you did not let out the clutch. Anyone have a similar problem? I know the Camry has a similar problem and it could be a dirty airflow sensor or throttle body. I would think if it were that it would do it every time. I only have 24000 miles on the car. Thanks for any help you all can give. Jeff D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is this on the same tank of gas? It could very well be the mass air flow sensor acting up. Have you taken it to the dealer?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Since your profile indicates that your RAV is 2013 and with the miles on the vehicle the problem should be covered by the Toyota warranty, and as it apparently involves the engine it should be covered by your drivetrain warranty even if the 36 month bumper to bumper warranty has expired. Suggest taking it to your dealer for evaluation.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
It could very well be a transmission problem, like maybe the torque converter locking up when it's not supposed to. As Blogson said, take it back to the dealership while it's still under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
10,132 Posts
Is there a sensor or valve that disengages the transmission at a stop? It almost felt like it had a standard transmission and when coming to a stop you did not let out the clutch.
No, the transmission downshifts but stays in gear. What's supposed to disengage is the torque converter lockup clutch and I agree with JuneBug, that's what isn't happening and is a dealer item. How you're going to get it to happen so they can confirm it will likely be a test of their competence.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This has happened over the last year so it has not been the same tank of gas. I like to have some idea of what it could be before I take it to the dealer. My bumper to bumper warranty ran out 7 days ago! I will find out tomorrow if it will be covered under the drive train waranty. There was never a check engine light lit up on the dash. Can there still be a code on the computer? Will the dealer charge me for a diagnostic computer check? Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rv4pilot, just found this thread and I'm wondering the outcome of your issue. Mine hasn't stalled yet, but it has shuddered when I've stopped a few times over the last month or two and it feels like it could stall. Did you take it to the dealership? What did they find? Was it covered under the drivetrain warranty? Unfortunately, I'm at about 50k miles. :( Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had it before the dealer said because of fake brake pads and install genuine one and problem was solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I had it before the dealer said because of fake brake pads and install genuine one and problem was solved.
I don't see how brake pads can cause your engine to stall. :confused:

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Weak battery?

My Acura TLX has AutoStop technology and caused the car to sometimes not startup after an automatic shutdown.
That 1.5 year old battery was on its last limbs.

I know the RAV4 does not have this technology but might be worth getting a free battery check from an auto store before getting into more serious diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Make sure you're not inadvertently stepping on the gas and brake at the same time. I've caused this shuddering stop with our's doing that by mistake a couple of times. Never actually stalled it though. I have size 12 feet and the pedals are kinda small so I have to pay attention to this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts