Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. I decided to register to get help for my girlfriend. She drives a 99 4wd auto. She has been having problems with stalling on start up. It usually occurs right after the engine has been turned off and then turned on after a brief momment. For example, it always happens after filling up. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Could this be a problem with fuel (fuel pump) or maybe a sparkplug / wire issue. What kind of plugs come stock and how long do they last. Sorry for these general type of questions, I tried to search nothing that seems to answer my questions definately. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I have a similar issue sometimes... mine will just idle real low after startup, and with the tap of the gas pedal it will return to normal... a friend of mine that is a mechanic recommend cleaning the throttlebody.... haven't done it yet, but I will go by his shop sometime and have him do it...

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could either be the throttle body or the map sensor playing up. Clean the throttle body, but with the map sensor. See if you can get a second hand one.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also have a similar behavior especially during cold start-ups. It would idle really low, when I tap the accelerator, the engine just dies. What I do now is to wait for a minute or so while on P mode before everything becomes normal. Is this also connected with cleaning the throttle body?

·
Registered
542 Posts
i don't have this problem, but it used to happen on my old corolla, especially when it's really hot weather. it wouldn't even start sometimes :?
problem was 'vapour lock' somewhere in the system! the gas just wasn't getting into the engine until it had cooled down enough & let the vapor recondense.
if this is the problem, i've no idea how to fix it on the rav! i think maybe something to do with the pressure relief valve in the fuel return line (fuel won't vaporize so easily when under pressure).

maybe it's not even related with the fuel supply (but i'd be supprised if it isn't!!)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same problem with my 97rav. I cleaned the throtle body and change the Coolant temp sensor. All is well now. :D

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I fixed wifey's RX300 with similar problems by cleaning out the TB. I used a spray can of TB cleaner and cleaned out the orifaces and connections with the TB on the intake. She ran like a top w/o any stalling problems.

I have removed TBs, rebuilt them, modified them on other vehicles over the years. TBs are fairly simple devices and are not that complicated to work on. Accessing them or removing them is generally the most difficult part of the job.

One TB component, the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) , can get carboned up on higher mileage cars. While the IACs are differnt designs on different manufactures, they pretty much function all the same. One you carefully remove them you need to spray out the carbon and gunk form the IAC's pintle and clean out the housing opening very good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts