Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to replace factory head unit w/JBL speaker. I have never done any replacing unit at all. First time newbie. After watching a few youtube clips, Oh yeah I am convinced that I can do it! (or it turns into disaster):wink. I try to do research about HU. Which ones would you recommend? I saw big brand and no-name (on eBay) units. I impress with Android one, but don't know if it will work well. Some of them even come with new back up camera.

Here are features I need:
  • Navigation with showing traffic in the route. Can map be updated later on? Will it be a life-time update like GPS unit?
  • Touch screen
  • Bluetooth speaker for phone
  • Play songs from cell phone
Backup camera is nice-to-have because I still have the one in rear-view mirror. I am not sure if it is worth to replacing it. I hope it is not difficult.

My car is 2011 Rav4 Limited with JBL speaker.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
137 Posts
I put in the Jensen VX7020 last year. It has navigation (without live traffic). Bluetooth will snd/rcv phone calls and play your audio from your phone, it also will play music from a usb stick, you can give it songs on MP3 CD or DVD, you can play movies on the DVD player, it has pandora and an attachment to add SiriusXM with an external radio and antenna.. it was cheap on amazon had everything i wanted.. you can spend 700-800 on a pioneer and get live lifetime traffic on the navi if you want it wasnt worth 500bucks to me.

Jensen : Search : vx7020 : Home

The VX7020 uses IGO Primo Navigation and is updated via naviextras.com
first map update is free.. they are 70$ or so after that.. updates to the navi program itself are free though.
VX7020 uses WINCE and if you go with it let me know and i will tell you how to get a custom background wallpaper on it.

I hear the JBL amplifier install is a bugger tho.. didnt have one myself so i wouldnt know.

Go to crutchfield.com feed in the details for your car.. look at the contents of the installation kit. you can get all the parts elsewhere but if you go with crutchfield you will spend a bit more but you will get installation instructions and telephone support if you need it. Helps with the first time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would advise not to chose for WiNCE or Android devices. They look to good to be true, but in the end a lot of end users are dissapointed.
Al works quite ok, sometimes not, but everything is a step backwards. Sound, receiption quality, software stability, navigation quality, etc.

I would personaly recommend a true brand like Pioneer, Kenwood, etc. They cost a bit more, but you get a perfect working quality HU.
For example you can take a Kenwood 2DIN HU with Apple Carplay/Android Auto functionality, then you have navigation, handsfree, music.
Build in navigation is nice, but 'life time updates' are the updates as long as the radio is supported, so the life time of the radio, not yours.
When using your iPhone or Android smartphone with the radio you always have the latest (free) navigation updates, and all the features.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Can you share Crutchfield installation diagaram?

~ 2016 Toyota RAV4 Limited Electric Blue ~
My apologies,
I do not have the crutchfield installation diagram
Never used them directly
however that diagram and their phone support is their value add, and i wouldnt feel comfortable giving up their intellectual property if i had it. that said, you can find alot of information on their website, still advocate you visiting it.

And i disagree with the other poster about WINCE/Android being too good to be true, and the proposition that Pioneer/Kenwood are real headunits. They are expensive and they use the same technology as the cheaper ones.. and the Jensen is technically a 'brand' name unit too. :smile Get what you want, it is your choice.

·
Registered
244 Posts
And i disagree with the other poster about WINCE/Android being too good to be true, and the proposition that Pioneer/Kenwood are real headunits. They are expensive and they use the same technology as the cheaper ones.. and the Jensen is technically a 'brand' name unit too. :smile Get what you want, it is your choice.
Yep, like a Russian Lada and a Jeep, both use the same technology to drive. Only the Jeep is just more expensive.
I used to have a WinCE HU and it worked quite ok, but when I changed to a real brand all worked an sounded 100% better.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Lada told me they do not know any Jensen brand, the only know good Russian radio's. ;-)

No, just to be funny to your "they all use the same technology" statment.
I will give you my blessings when you buy a Chinese radio. You maybe even love it.
I just tried to explain that OEM brands more or less use the same technology but then in higher standards as they should be.
When I changed from a Chinese HU to a Kenwood, my speakers instantly came alive, and the software also never jammed.

iGO Primo navigation worked 80% of the time, often just enough to get you on the spot you want, but it's not what you want.
I used to have a Kenwood with Garmin nav and that was 100% better than iGO Primo, but updates were slow and expensive.
Now I have a Kenwood with Carplay, and I use iOS Maps as navigation. Alway 100% up to date, free traffic info, etc. etc.

My Kenwood HU with Carplay costed me $150,00 more than the Chinese HU with all features, but you get so much more quality.

·
Registered
137 Posts
pioneer uses iGO sw (name brand aftermarket, specifically the AVIC- series)
chevrolet mylink is based on WinCE (OEM)
Jensen is not a chinese no-name knock off.. they were owned by AudioVox until the Summer 2015 when Dual out of Florida bought them.

Theo, you may be experiencing a selection bias, wherein you spent more money and are thereby compelled to justify the purchase.

OEM (original equipment manufactor) is distinct from Aftermarket
Name Brand Aftermarket vs No-Name Aftermarket

·
Registered
244 Posts
Marion, I used the OEM word by pointing towards quality technology inside true brand HU's. Reading it back after your comment I understand the wrong interpretation. You're right.

And I am not justifing my Chinese HU purchase, it was a very well thought over purchase. I wanted all for the lowest price, and a factory in China offered me to assemble a sample HU with all hardware, software and LED mod's for mY RAV4 4.3. I even helped them out to translate the basic menu software in to Dutch, because they had no people to fix this fast.
This became the HU in whitch all options worked almost good, but I was not satisfied, maybe even dissapointed. Reading and searching the net about the quality of Chinese HU's, and possible solutions, I found a lot of other Chinese HU users with the same expriences, and to bad, no real solutions were mentioned to fix or improve any.
Comtact with the factory about my less good experiences with the hard- and software did not gave any true solution too. In the end the factory stated that they used high quality products, and tested all multiple times, so my dissapointments where not understood. After this reaction I realised that I expected gold for the price of copper.

So after about 3 years of usage I decided that I had my Chinese HU experience long enough, and that it was time for something better. For a moment I thought about an Android based Chinese HU, because the my HU WinCE software jammed now and then. But according to a lot of owner experiences this was no true improvement looking backwards to the almost mythical weak WinCE software from the past millenium. Maybe in the mean time Android OS on Chinese HU's runs flawless, but back then most probably not.

After reading about a lot of affordable multimedia HU brands like Jensen, Zenec, car brand specific HU's, etc. I saw so many dissapointed reviews that I dicided to leave this part of the HU marked. In my connections with Chinese manufacturers one told me that the company LSQ Star in China makes most of all HU's for a lot of 'brands' and supliers. So the chance that you buy a true unique engineered Chinese HU is pretty low.
Maybe Jensen is a true "Made in The USA" product, I don't know. I only write you what the reviews of end users told. And those were not all to positive.

Since I own a Kenwood HU based on in house engineering on a higher quality level, I experienced the difference between the Chinese copy cats.
The Kenwood is still a HU, maybe doing the same as a Chinese HU, but then as it should, always, and on a higher level. Kenwood is not a holy brand for me, it's just an experience compaired with my Chinese HU.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
My Kenwood HU with Carplay costed me $150,00 more than the Chinese HU with all features, but you get so much more quality.

$150 difference is a no brainer; I would have gone for the Kenwood too.
I currently have a Chinese WinCE unit by Henhao.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
$150 difference is a no brainer; I would have gone for the Kenwood too.
I currently have a Chinese WinCE unit by Henhao.
Vanib, you have been using that Henhao for a while now--Are you still satisfied with it overall? Any strange bugs or lockups?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I upgraded my HU with a Pioneer NEX 4200, and used iDataLink for harness. I retained all factory and even added all sorts of goodies to the HU. I can even hit the 'Siri' Talk button and give commands to "Play xxx" or "Drive me to xxx" as it works through Android Auto.
Wow, that looks amazing! Does it pull that data off the CAN bus or does it need to plug into the OBD II port?

·
Registered
137 Posts
according to the pdf the iDataLink is tapped into the CANL/H pins from the OBDII port (pins 14 and 6 respectively)
I so want to be able to monitor tire pressure, i am curious about image 3
is the radio displaying that or is it an app from your phone you have projected onto the HU?

Oh I see the AVH-4200NEX is a iDataLink compatible radio and should have

Web-programmable radio replacement interface for integration with factory systems including steering wheel controls, media player, hands-free telephone, voice commands, and satellite radio modules. Also displays vehicle information (performance gauges, climate controls, battery voltage, check engine codes and more) with iDatalink-compatible radios. Basic radio replacement features also available with non-iDatalink-compatible radios.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow, that looks amazing! Does it pull that data off the CAN bus or does it need to plug into the OBD II port?
It pulls the data from one of the harness' behind the HU. I had to use the TO-02 harness on my 2016 and it does not come with the one to connect to the OBD because its not needed.

I get more detailed information than I know what to do with. Interesting enough, I have an LE in which there is no way to actually see what the PSI is in my tires stock. The HU now gives me that info as well as battery and Service Codes (hopefully I never need that info). Reverse Camera from stock works like it did before except I can control a few things like brightness. I can also view the Reverse Camera if I so choose without needing to be in reverse. The HU will also swap to Car View automatically if in drive and a door is open for example. You are also able to change stock options like lighting and door locks, etc. that you had in your stock HU.

The TO-02 harness also has the harness to use stock USB and plugging into stock USB drives Android Auto.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also that pressure was what the dealership put in my tires when they rotated at 5k miles. I wouldn't have known other than putting my gauge on the tires to check afterwards. I checked with a gauge anyways and surely enough, the HU was right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts