Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of anything special that should be done to a rav4 (2001) when using it at high altitudes (8,000 feet ... the altitude of my new home, Aspen, CO). I was told by my sister that there is 40% less oxygen in the air, so I'm assuming I'll probably notice lower power, lower gas mileage, etc ... I can't tell how its been so far going into Denver because I'm pulling a heavy load. I don't know if maybe there are adjustments I should make, maybe changes having to do with the timing of oil changes, they type of gas, the type of air filter ... Do you think the ECU will automatically adjust the car to perform the best it can with less oxygen in the air?
Thanks for your help!!!

- Bryan

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot!!
You should see it out here in Aspen (where the beer flows like wine & the women instinctivly flock like the salmon on capostrana) - there's more rav4's (All L or S editions, I haven't seen ONE base model except for mine, guess I'm not as "Aspen Worthy" as I thought, but like I said, there's more rav 4's, all 2001+, out here per sq ft than I think I've seen anywhere else! Guys drive 'em, girls drive 'em ... with the girls though, there's a fun game, Wife or Daughter - you look at her and the guy she's driving/walking with and coimpare ... ha!
Anyways, cool thanks again for the link - peace out!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What locals drive

Most locals up here drive Subaru AWD's (like our ski patrol), but the ground clearance on the RAV4's is a bit higher, which is another reason I bought it over a Subaru. I am starting to notice more late model RAV4's, so maybe our local Toyota dealership is stocking more.

If you have not looked into snow tires, here's some good advice...

If you want the BEST snow tires, seriously look at http://www.nokiantyres.com/ and buy a second set of rims for your snow tires. Their US website is http://www.nokiantires.com/

I run Nokian WR's in the summer (which are severe snow rated), and the Nokian Hakka SUV (aka Hakka 2) studded snow tires in the winter. Nokian Tires come from Finland. They only make snow tires - so they know what they are doing.

The Nokian studded snow tires are truely amazing - like cruising on solid ice and it's like it's summer driving. I've gotten up my steep driveway in 12" of fresh snow and once on solid ice, no problems at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts