Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my 2WD 6 cyl 2010 RAV4 Limited is sitting at idle with the A/C compressor on, the RPMs are about 750-800. The car seems to vibrate such that the vibration can be felt in the seat and steering wheel. If I get the RPMs above 1000, the vibration reduces quite a bit. If I turn the A/C off, the vibration goes away.

I asked my dealer about it, and the service advisor gave me the speech about how the compressor puts a load on the engine, etc, etc

I am surprised the vibration is as pronounced as it is. At first, I thought the idle RPMs were too low when the compressor is on, but my service advisor seemed to think the 750-800 range was appropriate - although the fellow who initially met me in the service drive thought the vibration was too much.

Otherwise, the engine runs very smooth. Has anyone else notice a pronounced vibration with the A/C on at idle? Is this just the way the V6 handles A/C at idle? Is this something I should press the issue on? Anyone have a service advisor in San Antonio, TX that will actually work with me on this issue?

TIA - David

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,604 Posts
I tried it this morning with the car in drive, in park, and in neutral. Tried it with the A/C on and off. Smooth as silk, no vibration in the wheel or the seat. Idle is right about 750 RPMs.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I wouldn't worry much. The vibration is likely the compressor or fan from the A/C unit turning on. Unless the sound or vibration is really abnormal, I don't see what the issue is.

I notice the same vibration in my 09 - its noticeable, but not an issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
junebug1701 - what was the temperature outside the car when you checked?

I think it is much worse when the ambient temp is high (like it is here in south Texas now . . . ). Obviously a compressor load issue - still surprised it is so pronounced, but it may be that at the low RPMs the compressor at full load is really pulling HP.

I really appreciate the feedback . . .

;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a follow-up . . .

I have found that the vibration is worst when the outside temp is above 90F and the compressor is on . . .

Seems to be a compressor load that is causing the vibration . . .

Does anyone know if there is anything that reduces the vibration that might be broken or maladjusted? Seems like if the RPMs at idle were 100-200 higher, the vibration would go away . . .

TIA

David

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,604 Posts
davbow said:

I think it is much worse when the ambient temp is high (like it is here in south Texas now . . . ). Obviously a compressor load issue - still surprised it is so pronounced, but it may be that at the low RPMs the compressor at full load is really pulling HP.

;)
I don't remember, but since it was morning, probably around 80-85 F. I'll try it again tomorrow when it's between 90-100.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
davbow said:
Just a follow-up . . .

I have found that the vibration is worst when the outside temp is above 90F and the compressor is on . . .

Does anyone know if there is anything that reduces the vibration that might be broken or maladjusted? Seems like if the RPMs at idle were 100-200 higher, the vibration would go away . . .

TIA

David
I am fairly sure it is compressor load and since the A/C cycles off less when temps are in the 90's it will be more noticeable. Not being there to directly observe your situation, I can't tell if it is abnormal. It is possible but improbable that the vibration would be due to some imbalance in the compressor such as the bearings beginning to fail. But you would hear a noise associated with that problem. I haven't had to work on the RAVs A/C so I am not that familiar with it, but sometimes a belt can get frayed and make noise/vibration.

If the dealership checked it out and I'll assume that they are competent (a dangerous assumption), then you are just expereincing a normal condition.

·
Registered
130 Posts
davbow said:

;)

I've experienced the same noticeable vibration here in Colorado this summer; have only felt it when it was very warm outside - 90+F. Transient in nature and only when I am stopped at a light. So, I chalked it up to compressor load. I do not have any cooling issues, nor do I hear any bearing noise(s).

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,604 Posts
OK, davbow, I just tried it again. I let the engine warm up fully. The outside temp gauge read 100 F and I let it idle in park, reverse, neutral, and drive. No noticeable vibrations. This was with the A/C blasting.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have a 4.1, but I noticed this thread.

I had really bad vibration at idle, even without any extra load. Could be felt through the steering wheel, I even thought the crankshaft pulley damper was broken. My problem was with clogged injectors, and just because you may have low mileage, don't believe that your injectors will be perfect.

If you have a severe duty cycle - lots of short trips it can be the injectors that are getting clogged up.
Try some fuel system cleaner, not the weaker injector cleaner, but the strongest fuel system cleaner.
It might take two bottles over two tanks of fuel for it to clear.

Clogged injectors have poor atomisation, which increases the variability of the injection and the burning of the fuel.

If you are running cheap fuel, this is one of the drawbacks, the injectors suffer.

·
Registered
118 Posts
davbow said:
Just a follow-up . . .

TIA

David
If the RPM's were any higher, morons would complain of Unintended Acceleration...

I also notice this 'slight vibration' on my 2010 RAV, and have noticed it on just about every vehicle I've owned from any brand. At least an increase in RPM's to counteract the load from A/C, and some vibrate more than others, or some not at all. Not a terrible concern from me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One thing to check, the throttle body south of the throttle plate builds a lot of carbon. It can cause a tiny bit of sticking when ECU adjusts the plate to compensate when the ac load comes on. Just when through this with a Camry. Helped a lot to clean it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts