Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any issue with taking our 4WD Rav4s through the car washes that pull one wheel/side through? We can't take evos through as it will mess with the center diff, curious for the Rav4s, since it's an electronic clutch pack, correct?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
it's not an issue since
1-it's not a real 4x4 with a locked rear diff
2-all wheels will still be turning at the same speed (very very low speed also)

I'd be more worried about the car wash and my paint! lol

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's not an issue since
1-it's not a real 4x4 with a locked rear diff
2-all wheels will still be turning at the same speed (very very low speed also)

I'd be more worried about the car wash and my paint! lol

that's more or less what I figured. idk any cars out today that have a locked differential that can't be unlocked, but regardless.

the wheels won't be turning at the same speed in the conveyer belt car wash - one side, typically driver's side, sits still on the conveyer while the other side rolls along. obviously the differentials in the front and rear axles are fine, it was only a question for evos due to it's center diff (I believe) - I think in this case with the electromagnetic center diff, we're okay though right? it'll just be in FWD mode, and anyway the car will be off and in neutral.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
well the car wash I used to go when I was a younger had a roller attached to a belt that pushed on the tire, so the tire was still rolling, it was just pushed, and I think the car had to be in neutral...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
It's fine to take an Evo thru a car wash. The car rolls in such a slow speed, I doubt any damage can be done to the drivetrain. I would worry more about the car wash messing up the rear spoiler than anything else.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen both kinds - the ones where you roll through, stop and go, and the kind where it grabs the driver's side and pulls you through - the latter is what I am thinking about.

However, if the front and rear diffs are open, and the center is an electromagnetic clutch that doesn't engage in neutral, I think I'll be ok. This is what differentials are for lol.

It is "ok" in the sense that most things won't be damaged, but I've got a pretty aggressive 1.5 way clutch rear diff in the back and while it'll survive it wouldn't have been happy rolling one side while keeping the other still

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
No problems with either the drivetrain or paint so far with my 4WD RAV, and it periodically goes through the carwash. Instructions are to leave the engine running and the gearbox in neutral. Carwash also sprays the underside to wash off salt, grit, dirt, etc.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problems with either the drivetrain or paint so far with my 4WD RAV, and it periodically goes through the carwash. Instructions are to leave the engine running and the gearbox in neutral. Carwash also sprays the underside to wash off salt, grit, dirt, etc.

Interesting - curious as to why the instructions are to leave the engine running? Is neutral with the engine on different from neutral when the car is off?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Interesting - curious as to why the instructions are to leave the engine running? Is neutral with the engine on different from neutral when the car is off?

Unfortunately I don't know the answers. Those stipulations are by the car wash owners. I'll ask them next time I take the car to the carwash but I suspect that I'll have to ask the manager as I doubt that the attendants know the reasons behind the stipulations.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahh - thought it was the stipulations from the manufacturer - nevermind then.

anyway, I think with the diffs on this car being open (I believe they are) it shouldn't cause any problems

·
Registered
253 Posts
Maybe you can't always engage neutral if the engine is turned off?
Also, I remember reading about some Rav owners losing soft spare wheel covers to a car wash.
And I believe someone else lost a radio antenna.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no soft spare cover here, antenna is a little surprising, it's pretty short

·
Registered
253 Posts
As of 2009 it was a short one on the roof. Before then it was a loooong one on the right front fender.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those do scratch the hell out of your paint. If you must use an automated wash find a touchless one.

gotcha - I do have nice paint.... I'm mainly looking since I get rewards at the bp I got to, and want to get the underside of the car sprayed off

1 - 15 of 15 Posts