Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, does anyone here think that it would be ok if the antenna was left intact when going through a touchless wash? I know the manual says to remove the antenna, but it seems to me that a touchless wash wouldn't pose any more problem than high winds and weather under driving conditions.

J.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was wondering about the same thing hence my replacement antenna options post in the General 4.3 forum.

Speaking with my girlfriend, she takes her Explorer w/ fixed antenna through a touchless all the time w/out issue.

Probably just going to leave the stock antenna as-is in that case unless I have to go through a non-touchless wash.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had my rav thru touchless wash couple weeks ago. I didn't read the menu, so I didn't know we need to remove the antenna. But there was no problem for the antenna.

But touchless wash missed dirts underneath the rear spoiler, and inner of both side mirrors.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For what its worth. This is mt 3rd RAV with the same type antenna and I never have taken the antenna off of any of them and never had a problem. This includes the brush type that you drive through and that big brush comes over the hood than the roof. I usually go to the Sam's carwash and have no problems.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's good to know. I'm taking mine through the touchless car wash then. If it breaks then that's just a good excuse to buy one with a smaller profile. Are there screw-in antennas you can get that will improve distance AM reception while being completely safe in these car washes (something much smaller than this one)? If so, pls recommend if there' sa specific brand.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hand wash only!

The antenna is the least of your worries.

I avoid automatic car washes. Heavy scrubbers and brushes can scour the finish by grinding in grit and grime left from other cars. "Touchless" car washes are better, but they likely won't get all of the deposits off, like a good hand job :lol:

Also very important is the undercarriage. Most car washes don't flush the road salt and grime from underneath your car. Besides they use recycled water, so it is only as clean as their filtration system.

Nothing can replace a good old fashion hand washing and a few hours of car bonding :wink:

Ravon 8)
(Ray von)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I went through the touchless car wash w/out issue yesterday. No worries about the antenna.

I agree on the brush washes. I'd rather wash my own than go through those w/ the new RAV. Otherwise, living here in MA in winter, touchless is the way to go.

Of course, once the weather improves, i'm with you RAVon, nothing but the personal touch for my baby.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
car wash with antenna

I have had my Rav for 8 days. My first car wash was today. I looked in the index of the manual and couldn't find anything for antenna.

I tried unscrewing it by hand and it wouldn't budge. I guess I am supposed to use pliers?

I went through an automatic wash with brushes and it came out intact. Earlier this week a pigeon hit the antenna and the antenna was bouncing all over the place.

When I got out of the car wash I noticed two small strips of clear plastic near the bottom of the doors. What are those? Why didn't the dealer take them off?

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Re: car wash with antenna

moises said:
I have had my Rav for 8 days. My first car wash was today. I looked in the index of the manual and couldn't find anything for antenna.
It's on page 348 under Automatic Car Wash. :wink:

FWIW, I''ve taken mine thru several car washes at 2 different places, no problems with the antenna. But the spare cover got partially blown off in one of em!

Tim

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I wanted to replace my antenna with a shorter, less ugly version and had the same trouble getting it off. Was attached during PDS too tightly to remove by hand. Ended up taking some of the paint off of it when I removed it with a wrench. No big deal as I'll never use it again, but it didn't seem as though someone thought you'd be removing and reinstalling it often.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: car wash with antenna

Quickdtoo said:
moises said:
It's on page 348 under Automatic Car Wash. :wink:

FWIW, I''ve taken mine thru several car washes at 2 different places, no problems with the antenna. But the spare cover got partially blown off in one of em!

Tim
Thanks for the page citation in the manual.
I removed it this morning and hand tightened it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts