Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do folks think of the Consumer Reports ratings on car waxes? Aside from the Zaino lovers.......OC... :D

Liquids

1 Black Magic Liquid Shine
2 Turtle Wax Carnauba
3 Eagle One Nanowax
4 3M Perfect It Sow Car
5 Dupont Teflon Ultra

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've used meguiars and 3M products and they seem to work fairly well. I just tried Klasse All-in One accompanied with the Sealant Glaze on my car and so far very pleased with the results. It's supposed to last 4-6 months with one application. Very similiar to Zaino and costs less to use.

F

·
0 Posts
They neglected to mention the Mothers product line. I used Zaino products on my 1996 Impala SS, but the Mothers products are radically easier, and produce a nice shine which lasts.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Car wax is just like motor oil - everyone has their own opinion.

I think that all the reviews on car wax are crap because they are all marketing in one form or another. The only way to figure out what wax is best is to use all of the waxes until you find one you like. While Zaino seems to be regarded as the best wax ever, I think a lot of that is a result of marketing.

I like Meguiars Gold Class on my Rav4, because while it may be a pain to apply and may not last more than a few months, it provides the deepest shine, and it's cheap.

From what I have gathered in my many years of wax research, I believe that natural waxes such as Meguiars Gold Class work better on dark vehicles, while synthetic waxes such as Meguiars NXT work better on light-colored vehicles.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Complete List:

1 Black Magic Liquid Shine
2 Turtle Wax Carnauba
3 Eagle One Nanowax
4 3M Perfect It Sow Car
5 Dupont Teflon Ultra
6 Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat
7 Nu Finish
8 Zymol Cleaner Wax
9 Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech
10 Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss
11 Griot's Garage Best of Show
12 Griot's Garage Paint Sealant
13 Armor All Wax it Dry Gel
14 Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
15 3M One Step Cleaner Wax
16 Turtle Wax
17 Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell

Paste

18 Nu Finish
19 Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss
20 P21S Concours - Look Carnuba
21 Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech

Sprays

22 Eagle One Wax as you Dry
23 Turtle Wax 1 Step Wax and Dry
24 Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss
25 Griot's Garage Spray on Wax
26 Turtle Wax Express Shine
27 Zymol Detail
28 Meguiar's NXT Generation Spray

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Janos wrote:
What do folks think of the Consumer Reports ratings on car waxes? Aside from the Zaino lovers.......OC...
Sorry guys, but I can't CR's wax reviews too seriously - it's like doing a review on Triple A Baseball All-Stars. Where's the Major Leaguers that can't be bought in the auto parts stores or Wal Mart.

There is no mention of some of the best of the best - Zaino, Klasse, Souveran, Poor Boys, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Liquid Glass, just to name a few.
I'll stick with my Zaino any day of the week, and try others just for curiosity sake.

Wanna see a real wax/polish comparison test -
http://www.gurureports.org/:wink:

OC

·
Registered
179 Posts
Derek said:
I'm just curious as to what criteria CR used to rate the polish/waxes? Was more rating given to shine or durability?
It says they tested on white or black paint, with and without clearcoat. Some samples were left outside for 12 months and others used simulated means to simulate extreme weather. Test panels were washed and dried weekly, and water beading was then measured. Given that, score is based on a combination of gloss, durability, ease of use, cleaning, resistance to scratching swirls & hazing, and plastic compatibility. Gloss was measured in side-by-side visual comparisons. Durability was measured by how well water beaded which they took to mean how quickly the wax wore away. Cleaning and scratching was also tested by side-by-side visual examination. Ease-of-use was rated by letting the staffers wax their own cars. While each wax got a numerical score (as well as an individual 1-5 rating on each of the measurement topics listed above), they do not describe the algorithm that goes into coming up with the overall score number. However it implies to me that gloss and durability were the top two components in the scoring.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OC - I agree they don't test all. That's in every product they test. I assume they test the most readily available.

In general though their ratings give some benchmark over just walking into the store and looking at the labels. It enables non - enthusiasts to pick a fairly decent product without testing or researching each.

I haven't used Zaino so I can't attest to it's quality or durability. But I"m sure it a lot of hype like everything else. I'd bet you that after you using Zaino for 5 years and I using one of CU's top rated products for 5, 99% of folks wouldn't know the difference between vehicles. And 0% from more than 5 feet away.

That's not saying anyone's wrong for buying Zaino.:) Folks often pay a premium for a name brand product in a supermarket even though the generic is equally good. I do it myself all the time. It's the perception that the more expensive product must be better. :) If the product fills the expectation, then whatever the cost it is the right buy. It's better than buying a product you have doubts about and wondering if you bought crap.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Janos wrote:
I haven't used Zaino so I can't attest to it's quality or durability. But I"m sure it a lot of hype like everything else.
The only hype that Zaino gets is what I'm always feeding you brethren on this forum!! :lol:
Seriously, Janos, it doesn't get hyped in the media like alot of other products (e.g. Mr Clean No-Dry Carwash System), the only exposure it gets is on auto forums - like Detail City where enthusiasts like myself rant and rave about it, because Sal doesn't advertise, except for his website.

And I agree that there are other products out there that will match it's depth of shine and gloss retention. But what sets it apart from the others is it's durability ( as I have preached to all about before :) ) This has been demonstrated in tests comparing some of more advanced products used by the pro detailers, and by my own experience. Can you believe this - My polishing/waxing season lasts from April - late October due to the severe Northeast winters we experience. Got my last coat on late last October, went through an easy winter but roads were still salted nearly every day. Did an auto touchless carwash at least once a week on both my vehicles. Come April, started washing by hand again - and the beads and slippery finish were still there!! Never had a product endure the wintertime like this stuff.

But then again, most folks aren't overly OC'd detail enthusiasts like me and the over the counter products listed in CR's recent tests will serve them just fine!! :wink:

OC

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're a little north of me, but I think if you wax 2ice a year the durability will be there with most respectable products. I agree the winters are tough but I sometimes think the summer is worse. That's because with the heat of the sun, contaminents bake into the softened paint. If you keep on top of keeping the vehicle clean (salt) during the winter the surface is actually getting less abused I feel.

Kinda of jumping topics but I just tried the AutoDry system. It works as promised and it still beads after a rain. It does leave a film on the windows but I'm not sure if it's because I also use Rainx. I have to wash my vehicle in the sun most times and I think the less times I can touch the surface with a towel or etc the better. It's a trade off. I'll see how long my wax beads. They say it has no effect on the wax. I know you said Zaino was incompatible.

I'm glad you're so anal, makes me feel real laid back. :D

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
There is nothing that I've ever used or heard of (Zaino comes closest) that will last nearly to six months, and salt spray in temps over freezing are probably the harshest, most corrosive environment that a finish will ever have to endure. And then the chemicals that the car washes use to clean caked on salt with a brushless system, that's another story......:(

It's not just that I'm anal about my cars' appearance, sometimes I get out the Z, applicator and towels just to do a few sections and burn off a good meal or channel nervous energy from a day's frustrations at work in positive way - therapy! Also enables me to try out different products. And my friends are always asking "Can you show me how to make my car look like yours?" I don't do details for hire anymore, but a still do a few a year for favors to friends & family. Wish I had a longer season to work with, I guess it's more than just a drudging chore for me, it's an obsessive hobby!! :twisted:

OC

1 - 20 of 41 Posts