Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I tried to start my car this morning and when I put my foot on the break and push start the light blinks on the "start stop engine" button and makes a noise. Then shuts off. I can still turn my radio on and my reading lights. What could be wrong?

I have a 2012 RAV4 with only 45k miles on it. I do regular service checks on it.

Here's the link to the video: https://vid.me/ayEX

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It looks like your battery is dead. It doesn't take much battery power to light up the dashboard lamps (probably 1 amp or less), but it takes 100's of amps to turn the starter.

If you have a voltmeter, measure the battery voltage while someone presses the start button. If the voltage drops below 10.5 volts, then your battery is dead.

If you don't have a voltmeter, turn on the headlights and see if they dim when someone presses the button.

If it is because of a dead battery, it may really be a defective battery, or an alternator problem which is preventing the battery from charging.

I don't think you have problem with the smart key (as suggested in your other thread), because the light turns green and the engine attempts to start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like your battery is dead. It doesn't take much battery power to light up the dashboard lamps (probably 1 amp or less), but it takes 100's of amps to turn the starter.

If you have a voltmeter, measure the battery voltage while someone presses the start button. If the voltage drops below 10.5 volts, then your battery is dead.

If you don't have a voltmeter, turn on the headlights and see if they dim when someone presses the button.

If it is because of a dead battery, it may really be a defective battery, or an alternator problem which is preventing the battery from charging.

I don't think you have problem with the smart key (as suggested in your other thread), because the light turns green and the engine attempts to start.

Great, thank you for the suggestions. I'll pick one up

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Great, thank you for the suggestions. I'll pick one up
Have you ever heard the old saying "Don't fix it if it ain't broke"?

I would not suggest replacing the battery until you confirm that it is really the problem. As I said a defective alternator is also a likely suspect.

Some automotive stores in the US and Canada will test your battery for free, if you can bring the car to them.

Have you tried boosting your car from another car?

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
A loose/bad connection on battery or starter cable can cause the weak battery symptom as well, I'd start at the battery and check for corrosion first, corrosion/poor connection of the battery terminals can also cause the battery to not charge properly as well. Remove the cable clamps on the battery and clean the posts and clamps well.

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Car-Battery-Problems

1 - 5 of 5 Posts