Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(2007 rav4 base model, 4cyl, 2wd)
Hello, my wife's factory key with attached fob broke some months back, leaving the actual metal piece nowhere to be found. Luckily we had previously cut a spare. The spare was cut imperfectly and does not open doors. It does start the ignition however. Her broken fob has been slowly losing reliability despite changing the batteries, and we were worried she would find herself locked out of the vehicle. We went to a local auto parts store in search of a programmable replacement fob, but they only had GM or Ford units. The only thing even close was a ready remote 24923B remote starter system labeled as DIY. It had the ability to lock and unlock the doors and also remote start the vehicle and was priced at $110 versus the 250+ it looked like it would cost us for a new factory key. I spent the entire weekend installing the unit and got it to a state where all required wires were properly attached as per the vehicle specific wiring diagram. After everything was hooked up, I started the car with the key and programmed the remote. At this point all of my wires were covered with tape and zip tied, and the lock/unlock features were working. The only thing not working properly was the remote start. Holding the remote start button caused the vehicle to turn on its dash lights and the radio/AC, then shut down before attempting to crank the engine. I wasn't too concerned about it since we just needed the unlock feature, so I began zipping everything up into the column and putting it away. Once everything was cleaned up and secured, I exited the vehicle and tried to lock it using the ready remote. No response. I thought it was strange, but figured maybe it just needed to be re-programmed. So I hopped back in the car and went to start it with the key as usual. No response. No dash lights, no cranking, nothing. The only response at all is a quiet initial click in the engine, then nothing. I then backtracked for four hours, removing one of the ready remote wires at a time and testing in between until I was all the way back to square one without a single non-factory connection on the car. Still nothing. At this point I'm not sure what the problem is since it's just the vehicle's factory equipment I'm dealing with. I checked all the fuses and they were fine, checked that the ignition harness didn't have any loose wires and that it was securely plugged in and it was fine as well. Thought maybe it was a battery issue since I was still able to check the lights, windows and wipers and they all seemed sluggish, but jumping the car only brightened the lights, but didn't allow the car to crank/start. So now I have exhausted all of my very limited knowledge and have know idea how to proceed. Now my wife has no vehicle and she doesn't know how to drive my manual. I'm totally broke and can't get a mechanic to look at it. Does it sound like I somehow completely damaged something between the two minutes where the vehicle and remote unlocked worked with all the wire guts taped and zipped but hanging out and when I started placing everything back in the column? Where should I even start with this, trying to jump again and letting it charge up longer?.... I'm feeling discouraged and any assistance anyone could provide, even a generic troubleshooting order, would be immensely appreciated. The ready remote phone number was no help as it is all automated, but I will try to email them as well, though honesty at this point their system isn't even involved anymore.

Thank you,

Andrew

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Assuming that you have now disconnected the alarm system, the no start condition is most likely caused by a blown fuse.

Likely suspects are
The AM1 fuse, is a 7.5A fuse located in the fuse box near the drivers left knee
The AM2 fuse, is a 30 A fuse located in the fuse box under the hood on the drivers side.

Also, in order for the starter to crank, the transmission must be in Park or Neutral and your foot must be on the brake pedal.

If you can find any other devices that don't work, for example brake lights, fans, etc., please post what you find as more information will help pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Rickl for your reply. I didn't think to check for fuses in the cabin. I will reevaluate in a few hours and post back with more results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big thank you for the assistance Rickl! It was the AM2 fuse, and a fully drained battery. Looks like some wires must have touched when I was tucking everything away. I'll try again this week to get the unlock function up again without messing it up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts