Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately I've been trying to find Carbon Fiber parts for the 2008 Rav4 model. I just recently bought one and as I'm exploring the vehicle I can't help but notice the incredible weight of the hood and the trunk. I own the base model 4cyl FWD and the weight those poor little wheels in the front have to pull up hills is A LOT. I constantly struggle to gain traction and you can only imagine how it goes in the mud. Horrid. So I searched for CF parts to reduce total weight but I can NOT find ANYTHING at all! All in all I came across a company willing to make the parts but they need 50 customers purchasing each of the parts for $1000 each for them to begin manufacturing them. Would anyone be interested in such parts for their vehicle OR does anyone know where I can find CF hoods and trunk for our cars? Thank you ahead of time. Here is the company name and contact info if you have any questions for them:

Peter McKnight
AdvanCarbon.com
ChargeSpeedUSA.com
VersusTradingCo.com
P: +1 (310) 962-7887
Since 1994
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Maybe you should look for better tires to help get better traction? Making your car lighter will not help traction and do the opposite.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Seems a bit high for the hood at least when VIS already makes one and you can buy it for $760. Listed for 2006-2007 but the Gen3 Rav4 hood (53301-0R020) didn't change design for all years 2006-2012

To be honest there are very few on here looking to spend that kind of $$$$ on anything for that little of return. There are probably other options out there to boost hp/tq, reduce unsprung weight or even just lighten the load on the current platform to get a better result.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So lately I've been trying to find Carbon Fiber parts for the 2008 Rav4 model. I just recently bought one and as I'm exploring the vehicle I can't help but notice the incredible weight of the hood and the trunk. I own the base model 4cyl FWD and the weight those poor little wheels in the front have to pull up hills is A LOT. I constantly struggle to gain traction and you can only imagine how it goes in the mud. Horrid. So I searched for CF parts to reduce total weight but I can NOT find ANYTHING at all! All in all I came across a company willing to make the parts but they need 50 customers purchasing each of the parts for $1000 each for them to begin manufacturing them. Would anyone be interested in such parts for their vehicle OR does anyone know where I can find CF hoods and trunk for our cars? Thank you ahead of time. Here is the company name and contact info if you have any questions for them:

Peter McKnight
AdvanCarbon.com
ChargeSpeedUSA.com
VersusTradingCo.com
P: +1 (310) 962-7887
Since 1994
[email protected]

You could smear Vaseline on your existing hood; lay down fiberglass to make an intermold; then use the inside of that to lay carbon fiber in a vacuum bag; and then just use hood pins or make a latch box. If you are the DIY type. That is how we made CF hoods in the mid 1990s for our cars when they were not commercially available. But I agree, this mod is just for fun, little or no real-world effect would be noticed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like you bought the wrong vehicle for what you do. As already mentioned - reducing weight won't help with traction, especially with a fwd. Traction shouldn't be in issue unless your tires suck, you're towing, or have a ton of cargo in the back. You can (should) fix one of those easily - the other two scream AWD and/or V6.

If you're still bent on reducing weight - removing seats, hitches, and spare wheel is free. Lightweight wheels aren't free, but are more readily available than custom body panels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts