Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed the cover doesn't cover the entire back area (there's a gap between where it's mounted and the rear seats)? If you look in through the side windows you can see whatever is underneath the cover. This is totally different from my 2012 Highlander which had clips to hold the plastic cover in place. Is this normal on the new Rav4s?

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
My 4.3 2006 Rav4 had the same full coverage cargo cover as your Highlander, my 2015 Limited and 2016 Hybrid both have the short cargo cover without the front section that clips to the headrest posts of the previous model, prolly just another cost cutting measure.:frown

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 4.3 2006 Rav4 had the same full coverage cargo cover as your Highlander, my 2015 Limited and 2016 Hybrid both have the short cargo cover without the front section that clips to the headrest posts of the previous model, prolly just another cost cutting measure.:frown
It's pretty lame. I guess I'll have to get some blankets or something.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I tried but the seats have to be really reclined to close the gap. I can't imagine it would be very comfortable sitting like that.
If you have privacy glass, anything in that gap is not going to be visible.
The gap allows the seats to be reclined far enough for someone to rest on a road trip.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Have never used the cover in any car. The LTD's glass is dark enough that no one will see anything in there. Not worried.

If you have privacy glass, anything in that gap is not going to be visible.
The gap allows the seats to be reclined far enough for someone to rest on a road trip.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have never used the cover in any car. The LTD's glass is dark enough that no one will see anything in there. Not worried.
i do. caught a guy once shining a flashlight through the blackout glass looking for something to steal at the mall before xmas... cover is a must.

my dad's old subaru forester had reclining rear seats, but it solved the gap problem by doing this:

the part between the crossbar for the cover and the seatback slides back and forth on rubber feet that grip the side panels, so you can adjust it to rake of the rear seatbacks.

does this work the same way on the 2016 rav4? my dad has to wait a month for his on order and the one demonstrator the dealer has did not have the cover installed.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I'm also looking for a solution for the huge gap. My Dad's old Rav4 have the part that cover this gap. Why Toyota?
I agree, I am not sure why Toyota thought this was adequate. On a recent trip, I used a blanket, hung over the back seat, and on to the cargo cover. I suppose, attaching Velcro to the cargo bar, and than sewing Velcro strips, to some type of cloth cover extension, could provide a permanent solution. I don't carry enough stuff back there, that I can't just keep things moved forward.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
The cover that came with my 2008 has the section that covers the gap. It attaches to the headrest posts. About the only time I ever use the cover is when I'm carrying Christmas presents.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I've been looking at this one...

https://amzn.com/B00IO8IO6W

The comments and reviews seem to indicate it works just fine on a 2016 and has a cover that clips onto the headrests.
I looked at this product on Amazon, and did not find anything to indicate it would fit a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid. Maybe I missed something.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
I looked at this product on Amazon, and did not find anything to indicate it would fit a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid. Maybe I missed something.
Agreed. It does state -2015 but does not include 2016. I've no idea if they are the same or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cover is the same on the 2016. I figured it was because I have the hybrid so was not covering the battery area. Kind of odd, but I don't think I'd be storing anything on the hump, anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well at the risk of continuing to sound like an "advertiser" you can find this on the page:

Question: Can this product be easily put on and taken off of a 2016 rav4 xle? i have a large dog and will be taking it off when the dog is in the car.
Answer: We have the same model and year, very easy to fit and remove, the hardest thing is putting it in the right way up, and attaching to the head rests. Far superior to OEM imho, and considerably better value.
By timnpatti2013 on February 23, 2016

Question: Does this fit the 2016 rav4 se model?
Answer: It fits the RAV4 2016 XLE model and I would think it would fit all 2016 models
By Linda W. on June 8, 2016

Anyways... I own a Rav4 2016 XLE Hybrid, 504 miles on it. I used to own a 2007 Rav4 with 105k miles on it. I'm just trying to help because I also don't like the OEM cover and I was hoping someone else would weigh in with an opinion or maybe even purchase one of these - or another like it - and let us know if it works.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Well at the risk of continuing to sound like an "advertiser" you can find this on the page:

Question: Can this product be easily put on and taken off of a 2016 rav4 xle? i have a large dog and will be taking it off when the dog is in the car.
Answer: We have the same model and year, very easy to fit and remove, the hardest thing is putting it in the right way up, and attaching to the head rests. Far superior to OEM imho, and considerably better value.
By timnpatti2013 on February 23, 2016

Question: Does this fit the 2016 rav4 se model?
Answer: It fits the RAV4 2016 XLE model and I would think it would fit all 2016 models
By Linda W. on June 8, 2016

Anyways... I own a Rav4 2016 XLE Hybrid, 504 miles on it. I used to own a 2007 Rav4 with 105k miles on it. I'm just trying to help because I also don't like the OEM cover and I was hoping someone else would weigh in with an opinion or maybe even purchase one of these - or another like it - and let us know if it works.
I might suggest, that you contact the seller or manufacturer, to determine if it will fit the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid. I think "Hybrid" is the critical word. I hope it does, but would be reluctant to purchase, without this confirmation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've seen a retractable cargo cover with a part that covers the gap, being sold by a third party seller in Ebay in different prices. The particular one that I've seen cost $69.49.

I maybe getting one soon and then I will say bye bye to my OEM cargo cover.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My dealer lamely said to recline the rear seats to cover the gap. Yet on page 444 of the owners manual, it describes the luggage cover as having a cover that fills the gap and attaches to the rear headrests, just like my previous 2008 RAV4.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts