Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been pondering the lack of a light in the cargo area and know some people have rigged up a simple light which requires switching on and off. No big deal I know, but what if....

...you tapped into the power for the cargo door light and ran power back through the rubber boot and up to one of the recesses on the upper right side (cargo net mount?). If you got a 12v LED light, it would come on/go off with the door opening and closing and would be quite functional. A 12v LED draws minimal power and would provide a decent level of light. Much better than the tiny light that swings out with the door.

Question: How do you remove the cargo door inner plastic facia without destroying it? I don't want to randomly start prying with a screwdriver in case I break off any important tabs!

If this has been discussed in a previous post, I apologize, but I could not find it!

Comments/advice would be welcome.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I removed the cargo light cover recently to replace the OEM bulb with an LED bulb. To remove it all you have to do is insert carefully a small flathead screwdriver into the upper left side of the cover(just above where the switch is). It should pop out with minimal resistance.

Btw, when you do pop it out, it's more than just the cover, it also includes the housing which is attached to the electircal wire & plug.

Let me know if you need a picture or illustration.

-day19

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that tip day19. One of those wires must be powered when the door is opened so I was hoping to tap into that to get switched power (only when the door is opened) back to main part of the car. For that I think I would need to remove the door facia panel to get to the rubber boot containing the wires between the door and body.

Anyone have tips for getting that off?

I'll pop the light out if it ever stops raining and see whether that gives me enough access.

Day19 - Does the LED provide much more light?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
is it much brighter then the incondecent??

day19 said:
I removed the cargo light cover recently to replace the OEM bulb with an LED bulb. To remove it all you have to do is insert carefully a small flathead screwdriver into the upper left side of the cover(just above where the switch is). It should pop out with minimal resistance.

Btw, when you do pop it out, it's more than just the cover, it also includes the housing which is attached to the electircal wire & plug.

Let me know if you need a picture or illustration.

-day19

R

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
is it much brighter then the incondecent??
I'd like to know as well. If you don't mind, do you think you could take a picture of the light itself at night, and the lit cargo area at night?

·
Registered
24 Posts
To be honest, I wouldn't say that it is much brighter than the original incandescent bulb, but I like the way it looks.

(I've posted the images in my album)

Sorry about the quality of these picutres. I did try taking pictures of the cargo area but my digital camera sucks in low light conditions so I didn't even bother posting them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I found a small sample (8cm x 12cm) of chrome mirrored tape on ebay for $1.50 (with free shipping). Plan on cutting it out to fit inside the cargo light bulb housing to make a mirrored back surface reflector, so all of the light comes out of the side of the bulb towards the cargo area. I am using red LED bulbs in my 2 vehicles for night photography use. I'll send before and after photos in a few days.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I lined inside of the plastic cup that covers behind the trunk light bulb with a 1" x 2.5" strip of reflective tape, and it's much brighter now. I am using a red LED, so I used the red reflective tape, but you could use chrome for white lights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts