Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I did was drill a 1.5 " hole on the left side of the cargo area about half way up, half way back and mounted a small circular light (top half chrome, bottom half translucent white) and connected it (+ and -) to the cargo light in the ceiling (just pop the light out). I removed the left side (top, side) of the rubber rear door seal and ran the wire behind this. Used vampire taps (the little red type with the female spade connector) to tap into ceiling light, used coat hanger to fish wire to new light. Light comes on with ceiling light. Very easy mod and small light throws enough light to see fine, looks good too! Took about 30 minutes to complete.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
can we see some pictures? and where did you buy the lamp?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I got the light at Pep boys or Autozone, it was around $2.00 USD. It is one of those lights that is used for the rear bumper (license plate) of a pickup truck. I had to solder a ground wire to the light fixture since it was designed to ground via the body of the light mounted into metal.
The rear cargo cover prevents the light in the ceiling from reaching the cargo area, it's not that the ceiling light is weak. You can see the rear cargo cover in the top of the picture, the new light is center right.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it one of those lights that is used for the rear bumper (license plate) of a pickup truck.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The lighting in the 4.2 boot must be pretty weak if you have to add additional lighting. The lighting in the 4.1 boot is pretty good...but an LED bulb would make it just that bit more brighter :)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mohit said:
The lighting in the 4.2 boot must be pretty weak if you have to add additional lighting. :)
Pretty bad - It's non-existent !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts