Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search and saw no previous thread. The stock cargo cover on our L model has had trouble staying up since day one. It's a dumb piece of engineering and just relies on jamming the rubber up against the side pillars to hold it. Of course it always falls down on your head as you reach in to get the groceries.

Anybody have a good fix?

bty - thanks Toyota engineering for the grocery hooks. Did you not allow overtime the week they worked on the cargo cover? :wall

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Can you take pictures of the cargo cover area? It'll make it easier for me to visualize what your problem is.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Agreed!!!........it's a POS!!!
Hey girl......he means it drops down when wedged up at an angle and becomes a head knocker... :wall

Mine does the same thing and I'm also interested if someone has a solution other than removing it........

It's a real shame because the soft cover in my 1st gen was great........Toyota Engineering...what were you thinking!!!! :roll:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought my 02 rav4 used and it doesn' have a trunk cover.
I went to the dealer to see how much a new cost, they looked up
in their computer and it cost $1010.00 (cdn)
Just what were they thinking? (Is this thing made out of GOLD?) :roll:

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that is why they are on eBay

For $100 to $200 usually. I rather pay to tint my windows for that amount of cash.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I guess it's a 2005 issue. Mine is a 2002 and I haven't had any problems with my cargo cover whatsoever 8)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I have a temporary fix idea! I took some duck tape (just kidding). But, I tested a long bungee cord hooked onto the back lip of the cover and strung it all the way up to the rear passenger grab handle. That's not an option...but it demonstrated the concept. The cargo cover stayed up when I lifted it off the side clips. I'm going to try finding two shorter (color coordinated) bungees of just the right length and hook them to the rear passenger headrest posts. It won't take much tension to hold the cover up. Maybe 12-18 inch ones. That's kind of unobtrusive and will do for now. And, I'll keep searching for a better way.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
If you look at the bottom of your cargo cover... you will see that Toyota MIGHT have had a similar plan. There are some indentatioins molded into the plastic for some type of "holding mechanism".

FWIW... the bottom of the rear deck cover in the Highlander has a cord/hook system. Guess the RAV4 didn't rate the added expense :roll:

Good luck with your project. 8)

·
Registered
685 Posts
I noticed those indentations and wondered what they could be for.......
Rather than going forward to the grab handle, what about a short cord (ala Highlander) to the headliner opening for the center shoulder belt........as you say, shouldn't be much strain.......gotta try it cuz it's a pita....... :roll:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I found the solution.......for me anyway.....
I looked at "XT4 Tinted"s album in another thread and he pops the cover off the pins and moves it forward and stands it up.......it's so simple......IT WORKS FOR ME!!! :shock:
....only drawback might be that after a couple dozen times the vinyl tracks on the side of the cargo bay may get scratched up.... :?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The ideal solution would be if on opening the back door the cargo cover automatically lifted up on a hinge. That sort of mechanism is available on the hatch back cars where the rear door opens upward and pulls the cover up as it rises. I suppose one could create a pulley and rope mechanism that pulls the cover up as u open the back door. That is my second in line of invention priorities after the battery cover. This summer is going to be busy! :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
O.k I have had some time to think about it and I think we can crack that puzzle. The way to go about it is as follows (see what do you all think of this). There are two versions.
Principle, a pulley and weight mechanism. Screw in a steel eylet on the plastic bump inside the inner roof (the bump that conceals the rear middle seat belt mechanism). (The screw with eylet is something that u used once upon a time to hang and stretch the curtain wire, ya the old fashioned thing!) Now loop a length of nylon wire through the eylet. Attach one end of the wire to the darn cargo cover edge and hang a weight to the other end of the nylon wire. Presto every time u lift the edge of the cargo cover the weight keeps it lifted till u decide to lower the cover manually. Experiment with different size weight till u find one that is just right.

Now here is even an advanced version for the more ambitious. An automatic lift and lowering mechanism! Instead of attaching the other end of the nylon wire to the weight, attach it to the inner upper surface of the rear door (closer to the hinge mechanism side of the door rather than the free edge side). Now each time u open the rear door you draw on the nylon wire which in turn pulls the cargo cover up and it remains in that position as long as the door is open. It falls down when u shut the door. U will have to play with the different length of the nylon wire to get it right.

I can not build mine just now. It is minus 13degrees celsius outside with lots of snow! It will have to wait till summer.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I find the cargo cover doesn't work well on the top level of my car too, but works on the lower level - for those who haven't noticed that you can lower the cargo cover half-way down.

Personally, it defeats the purpose if I can't have it to stay on the top without falling off once I pull it up. Generally, I let it stay off then put it back on when I'm done.

Strangely, when I first got it, it worked well, but it really looks like it shrunk off the sides so it keeps falling off easily when I open it. Am I the only one that noticed that?
:shock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts