Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Rabid RAVer
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Mine arrived yesterday. Though thinner and lighter than the weathertech, it does indeed provide full floor coverage including the raised area over the battery. The seatback portion is separate and as a nice added touch, affixes to the fabric with large non-adhesive Velcro-like buttons. Now, onto a solution protecting the sides and corners . . .

·
Registered
399 Posts
Do not cover the hump with a rubber mat on the hybrid model. When I installed sound proofing i disassembled everything back there. There are two hidden air vents that leads into the hump. See picture below.

I inserted a piece of white paper where one of the two vents are located, it can "breath" into the hump cargo box aswell so please do not put a rubber mat It will likely ruin the battery system in hot conditions.

·
Rabid RAVer
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The part over the hump comes down from the seatback half so the storage lid can still be lifted. How does it vent with that lid already in the closed position?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
It’s my understanding that those vents exit the car underneath. Otherwise on hot days you’re heating the cabin, which is also where the air is down in from. Doesn’t make sense to me that the hot air is vented back into the cabin.

·
Premium Member
7,849 Posts
You can use the Hybrid Assistant Fan Assistant to manually start the traction battery cooling fan, you can hear the fan running and feel the air coming out of the vent which runs across the forward side of the hump, you can see the vents if you part the upholstery with the seat backs down, they vent into the passenger compartment just as the owner's manual graphic shows and states:
The hybrid battery (traction battery) output will not be reduced, even if the space between the upper part of the air discharge vents on the back of the rear seat and deck board is blocked with luggage, etc.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The part over the hump comes down from the seatback half so the storage lid can still be lifted. How does it vent with that lid already in the closed position?

It is a clever system that can vent air forward towards the rear seats but also into the hump cargo box. Air discharged into the hump cargo box can still be discharged into the cabin because there is a lot of surface area eventhough it's a very thin opening when the lid is closed.

The manual states it's OK to put luggage there but that is not the same thing as completely cover something with a rubber liner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are there more air discharge vents as I cannot understand how you must not block the air inlet vents but it appears to be ok to cover the discharge vents. The Canadian style boot liner is not available in the UK but the discharge vents would be blocked if for example you put a plastic sheet down over the folded seats whilst carrying something dirty.
I have written to Toyota UK for their advice about this but so far I have received no reply.

·
Premium Member
7,849 Posts
I reiterate! :rolleyes:

I don't see an issue considering the carpet covers the vents, the only place for the discharge air to vent is to the sides near the wheel tubs, you can feel the air flow there. The Canadian regional cargo liner is a Toyota accessory, it's not an aftermarket product, been using mine for a year now with no changes in traction battery output, even last summer in a 2hr stop and go traffic jam on I5 at 90ºf+ temps I had normal EV use. There's a screenshot of the intake and discharge vents graphic from the manual in my garage.

·
Rabid RAVer
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I just spoke to customer service rep at Toyota USA regarding the Seatback Cargo Liner. I had emailed the company through its website contact form with this question:

I am concerned with the continued use of Toyota Part #PU550-42160-01, Seatback Cargo Liner, [link removed] in my Rav4 Limited Hybrid as it relates to potential blockage of the traction battery air discharge vents. Please advise whether continued use of this liner "could lead to a reduction in hybrid battery (traction battery) output."
I received a confirmation email from [email protected]. Today, a customer service agent left me a voice mail message with a toll free # and case #. I called back roughly 15 minutes ago.

The represented placed me on hold for several moments and when she returned stated that she had spoken to a "product team" and that they stated the seatback cargo liner "is not spec'd for U.S. hybrid vehicles". She would not elaborate and would not directly answer the question I read back to her. She also said Toyota would not put their answer in writing but that anyone could call 800-331-4331, provide case # 1805080366, and be told the same thing.

Reading between the lines, I am simply not going to use the seatback portion.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just spoke to customer service rep at Toyota USA regarding the Seatback Cargo Liner. I had emailed the company through its website contact form with this question:

I received a confirmation email from [email protected]. Today, a customer service agent left me a voice mail message with a toll free # and case #. I called back roughly 15 minutes ago.

The represented placed me on hold for several moments and when she returned stated that she had spoken to a "product team" and that they stated the seatback cargo liner "is not spec'd for U.S. hybrid vehicles". She would not elaborate and would not directly answer the question I read back to her. She also said Toyota would not put their answer in writing but that anyone could call 800-331-4331, provide case # 1805080366, and be told the same thing.

Reading between the lines, I am simply not going to use the seatback portion.
This is funny because it's exactly the same car. The fact might be that they don't have this part number in their system (why? I don't know) so they cannot tell you that this is compatible.

If you configure a new car on Toyota.ca, you can select this cargo liner as an option. I ordered mine after purchase and it came in an original Toyota boxes. I still have it at home.

If a battery problem occurs because of this, it is a major flaw IMO. Of course, I understand that you are worry because mine was approved by Toyota Canada and not by Toyota USA. Maybe you can use the seatback portion only when you really need it?

·
Registered
399 Posts
This is funny because it's exactly the same car. The fact might be that they don't have this part number in their system (why? I don't know) so they cannot tell you that this is compatible.

If you configure a new car on Toyota.ca, you can select this cargo liner as an option. I ordered mine after purchase and it came in an original Toyota boxes. I still have it at home.

If a battery problem occurs because of this, it is a major flaw IMO. Of course, I understand that you are worry because mine was approved by Toyota Canada and not by Toyota USA. Maybe you can use the seatback portion only when you really need it?

Different markets may have different requirements. A trivial example: it is probably more hot in Arizona than in Alberta on average.

·
Rabid RAVer
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Different markets may have different requirements. A trivial example: it is probably more hot in Arizona than in Alberta on average.
If your suggestion is true, and it makes sense, it would have been easy for the company to explain but they wouldn't. So much of that conversation was odd. What's more, someone from Toyota just called again but did not leave a message this time.

·
Registered
216 Posts
In summer, it can still be very hot in southern Canada and people move frequently from one country to another. Although your argument makes sense, I doubt that the engineers said to themselves "In Canada there is no danger of blocking the air vent". But if Toyota doesn't want to give the real reason, I suppose we will never really know why.

Reactions: marcuslaw

·
Rabid RAVer
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I just received an e-mail from Toyota which states:

Subject
Use of Seatback Cargo Liner in Rav4 Hybrid

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Elodia O.) 05/08/2018 12:40 PM
Dear Mr. [ ],

Thank you for your most updated response.

We conducted additional research per your request and we have found the part number you provided is not a valid U.S. part number and the video link is from Canada.

We also have confirmed that your concerns were reviewed appropriately with a Representative on 05/08/2018.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #1805080366. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Elodia O.
Toyota Customer Experience Center
I responded with this:

Elodia,

Toyota's response is inadequate.

"We conducted additional research per your request and we have found the part number you provided is not a valid U.S. part number and the video link is from Canada."​

The part number is a genuine part manufactured by Toyota for the same vehicle sold in Canada and in the U.S. Why does it matter?

"We also have confirmed that your concerns were reviewed appropriately with a Representative on 05/08/2018."​

My concerns were "reviewed" but remain unresolved. I am an unhappy Toyota customer.

·
Premium Member
7,849 Posts
Where did you purchase your OEM liner / rear seat cover
The 4th gen seat back cargo liner is only available from Canadian dealers, I have one for sale if you need one for a hybrid, it's listed in the classifieds, PM me if interested.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts