Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a base model 2012. I plugged in an air pump to inflate a spare tire I had laying around when the pump stopped working and both the armrest and cargo outlets stopped working. I unplugged the pump and the cord was warm. I have changed out all corresponding fuses (8,9,11,24) and even checked the relay for the acc. All of which did nothing. I know the 2 outlets are connected but I can't seem to find what went wrong.
I need some expert help on this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you checked the fuses under the dash or just under the hood. There is a 15 amp fuse in the auxiliary panel responsible for both the aux port outlet and cargo area. I believe that circuit is fed by a relay hidden behind the left knee panel as well. Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked all fuses under the steering wheel (fuse numbers 8,9,11,24) and switched 2 blue relays by the driver door. I have yet to venture under the hood to look at those fuses.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
You do know the key has to be on for those power outlets to work? They are powered by one of those blue relays, and go through the 15A PWR fuse under the dash. If your compressor pulls more than 15 amps, even momentarily, the fuse will blow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do know this, but for some reason no fuse blew and the outlets still don't work with the key turned.
Like I said I checked all fuses that pertain to any powered outlet and the acc fuse and relays none are blown

·
Registered
4 Posts
At this point I would be checking for signal at the relay coil while the ignition is on. Also for 12v at the teminal. Assuming that checks out, trace the voltage downstream. At some point you will find where it stops. Unfortunately I do not have the diagrams for that curcuit. Hopefully somebody can chime in with that info.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Try to disconnect the the battery and wait 15 minutes. Reconnect the wire and see if everything is ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I'm reading the diagram right, there are a lot of accessories that run from that relay. That means if everything else is working then the problem is downstream.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If I'm reading the diagram right, there are a lot of accessories that run from that relay.
My diagram shows that the PWR OUTLET relay only provides power to the outlet in the center arm rest and the outlet in the cargo area.

The only fuse you should be concerned about is the 15A PWR OUTLET fuse. It is shown on the bottom row of this image (5th from the left) and should be blue in color. This is almost certain to be the cause of your problem. By the way, this panel is located by the drivers left knee (in North America)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My diagram shows that the PWR OUTLET relay only provides power to the outlet in the center arm rest and the outlet in the cargo area.

The only fuse you should be concerned about is the 15A PWR OUTLET fuse. It is shown on the bottom row of this image (5th from the left) and should be blue in color. This is almost certain to be the cause of your problem. By the way, this panel is located by the drivers left knee (in North America)

Correct. My mistake. I was tracing it backwards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found the bown fuse. #27 it was listed as starting system in my owners manual. It was a 15 amp but my manual called for a 7.5 this was weird

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Found the bown fuse. #27 it was listed as starting system in my owners manual. It was a 15 amp but my manual called for a 7.5 this was weird
That is very odd. I downloaded the 2012 owners manual to see where you were getting the numbers from, and to see if the fuse locations were any different than my 2008 panel.

It turns out that the fuse layout has not changed since 2008. The diagram of the panel in the 2012 manual is simply turned upside down from the image I posted earlier. In other words, the fuse I suggested was the 5th from the left in the bottom row, translates to the 5th from the right in the top row,or fuse #11. And of course fuse #11 is labelled PWR OUTLET in the 2012 manual, and it is a 15 amp (Blue) fuse.

I don't know how your RAV was wired completely different than all the other RAVs.:shrug:. Sometimes things get confusing when you are lying on your back upside down, but fuse #27 is located at the end of a row, so it is hard to confuse it with a fuse located in the 5th from the end location.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
That is very odd. I downloaded the 2012 owners manual to see where you were getting the numbers from, and to see if the fuse locations were any different than my 2008 panel.

It turns out that the fuse layout has not changed since 2008. The diagram of the panel in the 2012 manual is simply turned upside down from the image I posted earlier. In other words, the fuse I suggested was the 5th from the left in the bottom row, translates to the 5th from the right in the top row,or fuse #11. And of course fuse #11 is labelled PWR OUTLET in the 2012 manual, and it is a 15 amp (Blue) fuse.

I don't know how your RAV was wired completely different than all the other RAVs.:shrug:. Sometimes things get confusing when you are lying on your back upside down, but fuse #27 is located at the end of a row, so it is hard to confuse it with a fuse located in the 5th from the end location.
Maybe it was one of those infamous Monday morning cars?>:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Haha, no way! I did the same exact thing with an air compressor!

Low and behold, fuse # 27 was also the mislabeled culprit for me in my 2011 with sport appearance package.

Thank you for making this less confusing !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts