Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to remove the drivers side interior panel in the cargo area to install a wireless receiver for keyless entry. The receiver box is mounted next to the gas cap latch, underneath this plastic panel.

Some great instructions are posted in the Third generation forum, but the Second generation cargo area is different and nothing turns up in a search.

Doubtless there are many concealed clips behind the panel. I have no idea where to start prying without breaking stuff. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Is the removal procedure covered in the factory service manual, and if so where could I find it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Gave up on removing the cargo panel myself and had an audio installer do it. It took them 20 minutes to pop the panel, bolt in the wireless receiver, and button it back up. They applied their minimum shop charge of $45.

Now my No. 1 long-standing complaint about the RAV4 base model -- having to use a key to physically open the door lock -- is resolved. For the cost of a $79 salvaged wireless receiver, an $18 chirp (wireless buzzer) relay, and a $14 key fob, I can push a button and the doors OPEN automagically!

Hardest part of this exercise was finding where to plug in the chirp relay. First I confused an unused fog light wire connector for the one I was looking for, but of course the relay wouldn't plug into it. Finally I found the unused chirp relay connector taped to the wiring harness below the left headlight housing, with the plug pointed downward so that it was invisible from above.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts